Tiny Size Compressor Recommendation?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Joe Louvar, Dec 20, 2013.

1. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

I have a Boss CS-3 Compressor/sustainer, and I like it.

I'm looking for a tiny size (5090A?) compressor with similar gain and sound (squished) as the Boss CS-3 (budget under $150).

So far I've found these - but I don't know anything about them - are any of these close enough, or do you have a recommendation (with a link, please)?

Thanks

Mooer Yellow Comp Optical Compressor Guitar Effects Pedal - $88.00
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/ampl...-comp-optical-compressor-guitar-effects-pedal

Xotic Effects SP Compressor Guitar Effects Pedal - $132.00
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/xotic-effects-sp-compressor-guitar-effects-pedal

Modtone Mini-Mod Compressor Guitar Effects Pedal - $59.95
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/ampl...ni-mod-compressor-guitar-effects-pedal?pfm=sp

Malekko Omicron Compressor - $100.00
    http://www.amazon.com/Malekko-Omicr...F8&qid=1387584283&sr=1-46&keywords=compressor

MOOER BLUE COMP OPTICAL COMPRESSOR GUITAR PEDAL MICRO EFFECTS PEDAL - $98.00
    http://www.amazon.com/MOOER-OPTICAL...8&qid=1387585286&sr=1-189&keywords=compressor

Henretta Engineering Orange Whip Compressor -$125.00
    http://www.amazon.com/Henretta-Engi...8&qid=1387585534&sr=1-275&keywords=compressor

2. Swift713

Swift713

3. johnbegone

johnbegone Supporting Member

Media:
    That xotic sp is a nice compressor. The blend is key.

4. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

http://www.ovnilab.com/

Thanks - I just got done reading the reviews and ruled out the Henretta Orange Whip due to the possible plug problem and internal setting, and I ruled out the Mooer Yellow based on the review. But I didn't find the SP, Modtone Mini-Mod, or Mooer Blue reviews?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. DirtyDuke

DirtyDuke Supporting Member

Fairfield the accountant. Best of the lot in my opinion

7. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

Thanks, I couldn't find a review (yet), does it have gain and sound (squish) similar to the CS-3 a "compressor/sustainer"? Is there anything more that you can tell me about it? Thanks

8. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

9. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

Okay, I just read the Fairfield compressor ovnilab.com review, and the distortion and hiss noise reports scare me - any comments addressing those issues in more detail?

And does anyone have a Xotic Effects SP Compressor reviews/user comment?

Thank you

10. johnbegone

johnbegone Supporting Member

Media:
    Most compressors are copies of a classic design with some features. A whole bunch of them are Ross clones, which is like the popular MXR Dyna Comp. bongomania has pretty much stopped reviewing Ross clones on ovnilab because they all share the same traits. The Xotic SP is another one of these pedals, but with a toggle switch for three compression settings, Lo medium and high and the added blend knob. There are also dips witches inside to account for active electronics or otherwise hotter signals. The added feature of the blend is what I like. A Dyna Comp always sounds too squashed to me, so being able to blend in a little uncompressed signal helps keep the sound natural. I've never used a CS3, although I know that compressor is a big hit. I'm pretty sure it's a very different circuit than the Ross clones. Not sure what you're looking for in a comp. Ovnilab has a FAQ about the different circuit designs and that might be a good place to start. I'm on my phone right now or I'd just copy the link.

11. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

Way cool John, thanks

Well, besides tiny size - I'm looking for a clean, reasonably low noise level, sustainer-type compressor for consistent leveling so subtle tapping and plucking pops forward more without to much boom on the sustain or loss of hi/lo - oh, and a solid build and with true bypass. I'm going to look for the Xotic SP in my local stores and give it a test drive. Thank you for the recommendation. :)

12. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Media:
    Demeter Compulator and downsize another pedal to make space...

(Or has someone cloned the Demeter into a micro sized pedal ? (Pretty much the only reason I would lose mine...)

13. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

I want the "tiny" compressor/sustainer for my newest super tiny nano sized petal board that I going to build.

14. movielvr

movielvr

I heard a Markbass tube compressor...it was terrific, just kick an extra 50 in

15. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    The blue Mooer is a CS-3 clone, but they're hard to find. I have the yellow one, and I like it. There's a tiny bit of low end loss, but it's nothing you can't eq back in if you're planning on always having it on.

16. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

Its not even close to what I'm looking for - the size is way to big. But thanks.

17. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

Thank you for that info. :)

18. Ricky Caboverde

Ricky Caboverde

Regarding your previous questions...
    Yes there IS distortion, but it's more like mild overdrive not unlike when you are pushing a tube amp into overdrive (same idea of compressing the signal as well). It's only really noticeable when you use the lowest threshold setting (at 2) which means more of your signal is compressed. The pedal itself has a particular color that it adds to your signal even at the lowest settings...it's a warm, somewhat fatter sound with a bit shimmer (hard to describe) -- I'm comparing this to my MS60b using the DBX160 patch with light compression. As far as hiss is concerned, I don't think I've run across the same issue as Bongo, but I can check again tonight just to make sure. I personally have found this pedal to be quiet and is only noisy because of my bass ('78 Guild with powerful singlecoils...unshielded!). It's a great little comp, but not hugely versatile nor transparent...but I love it ;)

19. DirtyDuke

DirtyDuke Supporting Member

Me too, no real noise issues. I have several other compressors but this one has a permanent place on my smaller board for sure. Even if it was a 1590 sized pedal, I'd still keep it.

Great comp

20. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

Thank you very much. Fantastic. :)

I've watched a few Xotic SP utube videos and liked what I saw/heard, but they we're with guitar rather than bass. :(

One more question - can the Xotic SP get a "really squished" effect/sound too?

21. BigBeatNut

BigBeatNut

Not brilliant for bass this one. For me there's just one setting that works: Switch to normal (vs treble) Vol to max, Sustain to 9 o'clock. Higher sustain yields distortion, lower sustain cuts volume below unity. Set like this it's a very high ratio compression to my ears, and I can't hear the attack control making any difference at all. This is all with an active bass, maybe it works better with passive.