1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Tips For Bass First Time Customization?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Cota332, Nov 10, 2013.

1. Cota332

Cota332

Hey all! I'm a long time lurker here on the forums, now I'm a member! :)

Anyways, iv been playing bass for a few years now(I'm a junior in high school).. But my 17th bday is this Saturday, the 16th and I've been getting questions on what I want for my bday.

I currently have a Made in Indonesia Fender Squire Jag Bass I believe that was the 2011 version. Well I've been seriously contemplating a few customizations for the past month and they are as follows:

-Hipshot Detuner with double lever (I'm NOT sure which one will fit my MII fender) :(
    -Hipshot A Style 4string bass Bridge
    -Both Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounder jazz and precision bass pickups
    -and then just minimal things like Thumb rests and pickup covers and what not..

What I'm asking is, should I really invest in these such things on a MII Fender squire? I'm looking for a sound similar to Rise Against 's "The Unraveling" album (props to Joe Principe!!) while at the same time, I also want to play some deathmetal with my band, much similar to A Day To Remembers earlier sound (like the breakdown from "My Life For Hire" by them).

Any tips or suggestions would be so much appreciated for someone who's customizing their first bass..
    Much thanks,
    -Cory C. :)
  2. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye

I really don't know what the mods you are thinking of will do for your bass. They may be awesome, I don't know, but it seems to me that you would end up spending more on mods than the bass costs. Now if your goals are achieved, who cares. Seems like it would be a hit or miss proposition though unless someone here has done the same mods to the same bass and can give you some feedback.

Happy birthday though.
  3. Cota332

Cota332

Thanks for the reply man! Um yeah I guess that seems legit.. I dunno I'm just going for a really bright sound, yet still retaining the punchiness through.. I currently have a Boss GT-6B effects processor that I've been using (but still don't know how to work xD) and recently replaced the strings with really light Guages to get that bright sound bust something still seems missing:( I'll just have to try everything out and see how it goes:)
    Thanks man
  4. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye

Well, there are a lot of things that can affect your tone. I would start with the cheapest things. Strings. Try Roto 66s or Blue Steels.

Some of those mods may be to your liking as well. I mean I don't know, though none of them seem that likely to greatly affect the tone other than the pick-up swap. And as far as swapping pickups, I'd want to talk to someone who knows, because it's an expensive pain in the ass to swap pickups only to find you don't like them.

I don't know what particular effects you use the Boss for so I really can't comment on what better choices may be. I can tell you that generally speaking, Multi FX units other than the very high priced stuff usually have a few decent effects and a bunch of crappy ones.
  5. JoeWPgh

JoeWPgh

Strings strings strings!!!! I don't mean to throw a damper on the other mods. But until you have settled on the strings that float your boat, you'll be peeing in the wind. So read up on them and try out a FEW sets. Once you settled on your strings, you'll have a good starting point to consider pickup upgrades. The other mods you mention won't have a tremendous impact on the tone, pretty though they may be. I am a fan of the Hipshot bridges, but not really for their tone so much as the easy side to side adjustment, and the fact that they are just a sexy piece of hardware. If you decide to go with the bridge and tuners, keep your originals. You will never get your money back on this stuff out of a Squier. When you decide to upgrade the bass, put the originals back on the Squier and and move your hardware to your new bass - assuming it's a Fender. But seriously? Start with the strings. Try a few, then move onto the pickups.
  6. wvbass

wvbass

I recommend the Hipshot detuner for ANY four string bass. I have both versions, and find the traditional lever to be just as good an option as the double lever. Alternate tuning take some mental adjustments, though. I'd probably skip the other mods.
  7. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

I'd do:
    Hipshot Detuner (what are you going to use the double lever for?)
    Pickups (For what you describe I might go for something other the QP's, like the DiMarzio Model P/J set)
    New strings (Stainless Steel for sure)

I'd skip the bridge unless you've got intonation problems. I'd also skip the covers, but that's a personal thing. For me they get in the way more than anything.
  8. JellinWellen

JellinWellen

If you want a bright and punchy tone these are almost guaranteed to do that.

http://www.bassstringsonline.com/Rotosound-Swing-Bass-66--4-String-Set_p_269.html

I would actually stay AWAY from quarter pounder pickups as they introduce a whole lot of low end sound as opposed to midrange punchiness. If you do replace the pickups (and I am not advising you to do so) go with Dimarzio model P and J pickups, or Seymour duncan SPB-2 or SPB-4.
  9. Cota332

Cota332

I totally get that man.. I have some D'addario Pro Steel XL Super Light Guage strings and so far I completely love tthe tone I'm gettingg from them.. I previously owned Eernie Ball Super Slinky Cobalt and where as the sound was decent, I thought that it sounded hollow, metallic and horrifically overpriced. So far I think I'm doing pretty good string wise:) and yeah man I'll make sure I check out with someone who knows pickups before iI make a final decision :)
  10. Cota332

Cota332

Yeah man, D'addario Pro Steel XL Super Light Guages are it for me:) greatest sounding bright strings I've used thus far:))
  11. Cota332

Cota332

I always thought that Detuners were amazing pieces of hardware.. Do you think that they can work on any string on a Fender other than just the E string or is there just not enough room?
  12. Cota332

Cota332

I wanna have the double lever to instantly tune from the E string all the way down to a C :) ... Specifically so I may so some very very brutal breakdowns in the music! :D
  13. Cota332

Cota332

Sweet! Lol I'mjust curious, why does everyone not like Quarter Poun der? I guess the only reason why I like them is because Joe Principe uses them and that's a sound I'm trying to emulate.. Though I've never really done any intense research on the pickup..
  14. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

They are scooped. For metal you generally want to have that mid content so you can be heard. Too much low end can muddy things up, especially with detuned guitars fighting for the same sonic space.

Lots of bassists do use QP's so ultimately it's up to you on what you want to try.
  15. JellinWellen

JellinWellen

I found d'addario prosteels to be immensly mid scooped, which may be part of your problem if your sound isnt cutting or punching enough. I tried prosteels and then right after tried the Rotos and have been with them ever since.
  16. wvbass

wvbass

Not enough room.

The single action lever can go down to C. I assume you want D and C. Be warned - the C will be pretty loose and sloppy when you play by yourself. It will be fine in the mix.
  17. Sartori

Sartori

If you use drop tunings a lot, the d-tuner can be useful, I would guess.

In terms of modding, if you're not just experimenting (which can get expensive), it's a good idea to mod with a specific goal in mind, either to add a feature or correct a shortcoming.

For example, I install locking tuners on my guitars (obviously not basses), both because of the somewhat increased tuning stability, and also because I am lazy and it makes restringing easier.

If you mod just willy-nilly, you run a bit of a risk of ending up with a sound that you don't like as much as the one you had before.
  18. Cota332

Cota332

Well quoting what "JellinWellin" said, that D'addario Pro Steels happen to be mid scoped, do you think that the Quarter Pounders would even out to give a well balanced bass tone? And you mentioned the DeMarzio pickups, How has your experience been with them compared to the others? Thanks! :)
  19. Cota332

Cota332

Hmmmm well I guess I can get Rotos a try after my run with D'addario, is there a specific version that you think I should try out?
  20. Cota332

Cota332

Yeah I was thinking about the double lever to switch from E to D then to C instantly.. But I didn't know that they sounded sloppy by themselves.. Do you mean they sound sloppy just live in general or when everyone's taking a break for a bit and you're still just jazzin out on your bass?