1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Tips For Making Pickguards?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Matthew_84, Feb 19, 2013.

1. Matthew_84

Matthew_84

Anyone have any tips on how to build your own pickguard?

I just took a Dremel to a P Bass pickguard I had laying around and mangled it - no straight edges, different degree bevels, etc.

Is there any other ways that are easier? i was thinking of maybe making one out of wood. Anything I can do to keep it from warping, like finish it with a spray on poly or something?

2. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

I make a wooden template and cut them with a pattern bit. Then I use a 45 degree chamfer bit for the bevels. Its much easier to sand a wooden template until it is perfect, than it is to try and hand cut pick guard material and shape it afterwards.

3. Matthew_84

Matthew_84

Thanks Hopkins, I see the chamfer bit for a Dremel, but couldn't find the pattern bit, but I'll sure I'll find something that will do.

I'm looking for a plain white pickguard. Anyway, I could just use a 3/32" piece of wood veneer, spray it white, then spray it with poly? Or would using the plastic pickguard material be better. It just seems a bit more tedious going that route.

4. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

I didnt realize you were using a dremel, I make mine with a router. I would think the wood veneer that thin would want to curl up on you. you would be much better off with actual pick guard material

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Matthew_84

Matthew_84

Yeah, I'm think that too. I might as well just make it right then. Thanks for your help