1. Welcome to the premier online community and classifieds for bass players!

Register a free account to post, remove lots of ads, and more!

Tips For Making Pickguards?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Matthew_84, Feb 19, 2013.

1. Anyone have any tips on how to build your own pickguard?

I just took a Dremel to a P Bass pickguard I had laying around and mangled it - no straight edges, different degree bevels, etc.

Is there any other ways that are easier? i was thinking of maybe making one out of wood. Anything I can do to keep it from warping, like finish it with a spray on poly or something?

2. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Disclosures:
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
    I make a wooden template and cut them with a pattern bit. Then I use a 45 degree chamfer bit for the bevels. Its much easier to sand a wooden template until it is perfect, than it is to try and hand cut pick guard material and shape it afterwards.

3. Thanks Hopkins, I see the chamfer bit for a Dremel, but couldn't find the pattern bit, but I'll sure I'll find something that will do.

I'm looking for a plain white pickguard. Anyway, I could just use a 3/32" piece of wood veneer, spray it white, then spray it with poly? Or would using the plastic pickguard material be better. It just seems a bit more tedious going that route.

4. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Disclosures:
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
    I didnt realize you were using a dremel, I make mine with a router. I would think the wood veneer that thin would want to curl up on you. you would be much better off with actual pick guard material

5. Sponsored by:

6. Yeah, I'm think that too. I might as well just make it right then. Thanks for your help