1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Tips for playing Melodic Bass anyone?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by StrudelBass, Oct 12, 2002.

1. StrudelBass

StrudelBass

Does anyone have good informtion on playing Melodic Bass? I'm interested in learning this style.
  2. stephanie

stephanie

Hope this isn't a silly question (forgive me, my mind is foggy tonite :D), but by your question do you mean how to play more melodic basslines (rather than lines such as walking bass, rhythmic lines, basic rock lines, etc...)?

That said, I love playing melodic lines. The key to it is (just like everything else) practice. Try your hand at some classical pieces (such as Bach). My teacher brings in sheet music from his upright bass books. Herein are many melodic bass exercises (great for technique).

I'm not exactly sure what you are asking. :confused:
  3. StrudelBass

StrudelBass

Yeah, sorry, I knew I didn't prove enough information.

Really my question is "How to play more melodic basslines".:)
  4. Doryan

Doryan

Think in scales, for starters.

And learn to progress from one scale to another, and from different keys.

And improvise many variations.

Also rhytmic versatility: not just all eight notes or fouth notes. Use different timings, different note lenghts after each others.

Don't know if I can help you anymore. It's just a feeling you need to devellop.
    I'm really addicted to complex melodies.

Try listening to progressive music, european folk or as Stephanie said classical. I really like Bedrich Smetana.
  5. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Supporting Member

Transcribe solos played by non bassists.

By "transcribing", I don't mean notation, but learning the solo or the vocal melody. Try to reproduce the same inflections on your instrument. John Patitucci says he transcribed a lot of John Coltrane to become a better soloist.
  6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Supporting Member

The thing I have read as a tip for melodies is to get the line to flow. So - most catchy melodies don't necessarily jump about all over the place - each note follows naturally from the last.

As Doryan says - you need to practice scales, but linking them logicaly together to form tunes. Play scales so they sound like music and then try to put parts of scales together in "musical" ways - so it sounds like music rather than just bits of scales.

The thing that helps you to achieve this is thinking ahead to where you are going and achieving a smooth line that makes sense, both in terms of the linear flow and the appropriate scales for the harmony/chords.
  7. slam

slam Guest

I would recommend that you practice arpeggios, that is chord tones, more than scales. Scales do not sound musical.
  8. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings
    Play more melodies.
  9. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Supporting Member

Did you read my post? It depends on how you play them and you can always take notes from different scales to form melodies.

As has just been pointed out the most obvious way is to play more melodies ;) - but if you're actualy going to create your own melodic lines then you will have to have a thorough knowledge of chords and scales - but just playing arpeggiated chords is not necessarily melodic in any way!
  10. QTraXQ

QTraXQ Guest

Check out some Led Zeppelin. There are some Melodic Lines in many of their songs. Check out Stairway to Heaven. Do the Keyboard parts that are in the song also. another song is "Good Times Bad Times", also "What Is And What should Never Be". Maybe even, "Hey Hey What Can I Do".

They basically show you good places for Melodies. They are not Very Complicated Melodic Basslines.

Try them out..
  11. DigMe

DigMe

:D
  12. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings
    I was serious! What can teach you more about playing melodically than playing melodies? Nothing I can think of.
  13. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Developer: iGigBook Sheet Music Manager
    I just thought of something else that can teach you more about playing melodically:

Play More Melodies! :D
  14. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    I believe you should forget the scales, forget the arpeggios, forget everything you've ever read in a book about music, close your eyes, fill your heart with love, and let that love flow through your chest, down your arms, into your fingertips and out into the vibrations of the stings on the bass. Let your fingers and your whole body sing, forget there's such a thing as a note or notes. Take your time, if you feel like letting a note ring for 4 measures do it, feel it in your whole body, experiment, be free, and create..... and do it a lot. Ahhhh...............

I think it's also good to play nursery rhymes a lot, christmas carols, and the melody instead of the basslines to songs that you like (I think that's what they're talking about above).
  15. jazzbo

jazzbo

I'm also gonna put it a vote for "play more melodies."

I would also like to add to the "listen to:" list, jazz. While the rhythmic part of jazz bassplaying is king, the melodic element is never given it's worth. No other music genre I can think of has a bassplayer that pays as much attention to the harmony, interacting with the melody of the tune. A natural lineage from there would be James Jamerson.
  16. Chris A

Chris A Chemo sucks!

Melodies are what I tell my students to do. Try to "sing" the melody of the tune through your instrument. Make each note flow into the other. A good bassline should flow just like the melody of the tune. I make the analogy of playing connect the dots. The notes are the dots and the phrasing is the lines between the dots. A lot of bass players can play the dots, being able to play the "lines" that connect the dots is where you get solid flowing (legato) basslines.

Chris A.:rolleyes:
  17. BassAxe

BassAxe

For one thing, listen to a lot of Paul McCartney's bass work on The Beatles albums.

2nd, if you are working on original material in a group, don't try to fit a bass line along with the guitar or treble clef player. If you do, you'll probably end up just playing the root.
    Instead, just listen to the vocal track and imagine a bassline in harmony with the vocals.
  18. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Disclosures:
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    IMO playing melodically really requires good ears and the ability to play what you hear.

If you're thinking about playing your own melodies, I'd agree with learning some non-bass solos (especially brass) as being the easiest way to develop the necessary skills. Also, if you're humming a tune in your head, try to bang it out on your bass. Many, many melodies were first "composed" in hum format.

As usual, SLED FROGMAN is dead on - playing melodically is not much different from any other aspect of playing bass - just a combination of hearing, technique and musical knowledge.
  19. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Administrator

That's all well and good, but if you haven't internalized all of those things that you talk about "forgetting" through lots and lots of practice, nothing will ever come out of your instrument but what you already know how to play. You are what you eat. Eat nothing, and you'll become exactly that eventually.
  20. David Kaczorowski

David Kaczorowski

Transcribe the kinds of melodies you want to play from recordings.