Tips for practicing and discipline.

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by russpurdy, Dec 22, 2013.

1. russpurdy

russpurdy Supporting Member

Hey guys,

I have a bad habit of always just noodling around on my basses when I pick them up. I may work on a song idea for a bit or run some scales I already know to work on speed but I have no clue where to start with actually practicing properly.

Problem is, I don't know what I want to learn. I write originals occasionally and also play in a cover band that I spend time learning tunes for. Any suggestions for how to keep disciplined and what kind of stuff I should practice? Here are some theories but I don't know where to start. What would you work on and how would you do it?

- learning to read music properly
    - working on jazz lines and progressions
    - practicing scales
    - slapping
    - learning more difficult cover songs
    - going genre by genre learning technique

What would you do?

2. Gabriel V

Gabriel V

I need help with this too. It's hard to really focus sometimes.

What does everyone else do? I feel like I've stopped learning and progressing.

3. jazzonlyjazz

jazzonlyjazz

I just practice my major and minor scales first and try to redo them at different at positions.

Learning a song with a tricky bassline helps too. Just take it section by section and don't try to learn the song quickly. Take your time with it. YYZ by Rush I started last March. Still learning as of now.

Another way of practicing is to play along to songs you know and to nail every single note accurately and cleanly. Speed takes time as everyone will tell you. People will notice if you're clean and precise with your notes boredom than your speed.