Tips for talking to the audience??

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by mexibass, Jul 30, 2013.

1. mexibass

mexibass

Hey guys, I'm a bass player who had to take over the duties of the frontman since we couldn't find a decent replacement in the area. My singing is good I think, I get compliments and all, I don't have a great range or that typical rock n roll voice a la robert plant, but I can work around songs like don't stop believing and they sound more than just fine!

Problem is, being spanish and french my first two languages, I have kind of a hard time to talk to people in english between songs, and it's not that I don't speak the language well, I'm actually very fluent in english, it's just that I don't know what other things to say! I end up sayin the same 3-4 lines all the time and I hate it! Things like "hey guys, how y'all doing tonight?" and... "cmon people, make some noise!"... but that's about it...

any suggestions of other catch phrases that could work in this scenario? we play mainly at hotels for american and canadian people on vacation :)

thanks a lot for the input! :bassist:
  2. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

If you ever play in northern CA yell "Go 49ers". ;)
  3. Mvilmany

Mvilmany

Just yell, "We love you, Cleveland!" After each song. #spinaltap
  4. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

Or "first dancing couple on the dance floor gets a free drink". ;)
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. skulletwhip

skulletwhip

Get the set tight enough that you don't have to talk. Or just say "thanks."
  7. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

lol :D
  8. theclashkid

theclashkid

Say you just returned from a tour of a fictional country, and see if anyone notices.
  9. mexibass

mexibass

10. mexibass

mexibass

That's actually what I do. Keep playing song after song and from time to time I throw my "how y'all doing" and my "cmon people make some noise" ;)
  11. hypapanuse

hypapanuse Banned

Tey gusta my grande penne.

;-{) hiding
  12. two fingers

two fingers Loud Mouth Know It All Blowhard Gold Supporting Member

Meh. Just be yourself and current. What I mean by current is just talk up stuff in the room. Find out if there are any birthdays and/or bachelorette parties in the crowd. Then make a big deal about them. Even if there are no specific parties, try to meet somebody during a break or before the show. Then just say "We're gonna send this next one out to my new friend" (and then say their name). It is a big deal to people in the crowd to hear their name over the PA. If someone in the front is having a particularly good time ask them who they are and where they're from. Then just send them a song too. If you don't mind having a beer or two during the show, tell everybody you would like a beer and put it on your tab. (Usually they will buy you one anyway.) Then raise a toast to somebody (even if it is just your sound man).
  13. Leadfoot

Leadfoot

"Thanks to (insert name of bar/club/manager) for inviting us over tonight. We appreciate it."
    "I can't think of a better place to be tonight"
    "Was that all right?"
    "The next song is in the key of F#" - Jimi at Monterey Pop
    "Thanks for being such a great crowd at our favorite place to play"
  14. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

OP

Seriously, go talk with the people and meet them and find out what they like, joke about it, etc, and play off of that when talking with them (not at them) from the mic and include them.
  15. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Outside of reminders to tip the wait staff, pretty much the only banter you'll hear from us on stage is telling the people the name of the band before we start. People want to hear music, not inane chit chat. If I were you, everything I said on stage I would say in Spanish. FTW.
  16. Slough Feg Bass

Slough Feg Bass

when I play hotels or touristy places, I single out a couple who look like they are on vacation, ask them if they have to work tomorrow. Ask them where they are from, do they enjoy it here, this next song is for those two cute kids from (insert city here).

Before you do the slow dance songs, remind people about how everyone needs somebody to hold close, and to grab that person whether it is a he or she, hold them close and groove to this next song that is called (song title)
  17. kevteop

kevteop

If you do not possess a quick wit, do not invite your audience to heckle you.

I see no reason to talk to the audience unless something goes wrong with the music-making equipment, and if that happens then at least you've got something to talk about.

You're not a hospital radio DJ, just play them some music.
  18. mellowinman

mellowinman Perfect for Breaking the Ice at Naughty Parties Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Pretend they are a woman who is anxious to join you in your bed.

You can say nothing wrong. Except, "you're not as pretty as your sister."

NEVER say that.
  19. Baer

Baer

+1 We seldom talk before or after a song. If there wasn't an occasional need for the drummer to add or remove the tambourine attachment to his hi-hat, there would be no talking except at the end of a set. It's just one song right into the next.
  20. IPYF

IPYF

Our singer is a stand up comedian so he's the perfect guy to step in if the pressure's on. I snapped my low C once and had to run off to find my spare. He's half way through his standup set by the time I get back.

Maybe learn some local jokes, talk about some of the local activities or landmarks. If you're doing shows in hotels maybe lots of the patrons aren't local so they might appreciate that kind of thing. Act a bit like a musical tour guide.
  21. escaraBAJO

escaraBAJO Supporting Member

You don't have to talk a lot but since you're in a cover band maybe you can tell some anecdote or short story about the song you're going to play. Not always but sometimes.