Tips on beginning bass players?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by SophieX666, Jan 27, 2013.

1. SophieX666

SophieX666

Hello!

I've been wanting to play bass guitar for some times now, and recently got one as a Christmas present along with lessons at the local Guitar Center. So far I have been learning how to read tabs, learning how to get my coordination on track and just getting the basics down right. I'm still having trouble with getting a good low "bass" sound so to speak as opposed to the nail like sound I tend to get when I pluck the strings. In other words, I was wondering if any of you had any tips for beginning bass players? Or just simply any pointers? Thank you in advance!
  2. MalcolmAmos

MalcolmAmos Supporting Member

Getting good sound will come when you get some of the fundamentals under your fingers, in the mean time..... You are taking lessons from a live instructor. That is step one. Do what your instructor says. Did I mention, do what your instructor says....... LOL, he is taking you down a road of discovery, best to listen to what he has to say before jumping off into something that will just confuse you.

In between your lessons you may pick up some pointers from the book Bass Guitar for Dummies. Your local library will probably have a copy. It will give you all the gotta know things like how to hold your bass, how to tune it, how to get sound coming from it and how mute some of that sound. Kinda important you get all that down first.

The Internet site www.studybass.com is an excellent source of information. Time spent here will be time well spent.

Between the book and the Internet site and your instructor, that should give you plenty to do.

Welcome to the bottom end.
  3. fearceol

fearceol

+1 for Malcolm's advice above. I would like to add my two cents worth.

Be sure to learn good right and left hand technique. This is the time to do it before bad habits develop. Not only will it have you playing to the best of your ability, but you will avoid possible physical problems at a later time. This should be one of the first things your teacher shows you.

Tabs are OK up to a point, but don't rely totally on them. It is much more beneficial to develop your ear by trying to play along to music that you like.

Try to practice every day, even if it is only for half an hour. This is better than putting in three or four hours once or twice a week.

Last but not least, be patient with yourself and have fun. Progress occurs gradually with regular practice.

Best of luck !! :)
  4. Denny Coon

Denny Coon

Ive been playing a while now and I'm constantly learning from TBR's on here and all of thier knowledge. I think I've always had a good tone even with the cheapest of equiptment. By far the biggest help tone-wise was someone on her telling me to set all my EQ flat and take out the unwanted frequencies rather than just boosting what I wanted..feeling content with your tone is a major factor in being inspired to practice!
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. fearceol

fearceol

7. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Thou shall not F*** up the groove Supporting Member

8. Russell L

Russell L

Learn some theory, and learn to read standard notation is my advice.