Tips on getting your band name out?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by ambissonnett, Mar 29, 2014.

1. ambissonnett

ambissonnett

Hey guys,

I'm just looking for ideas/tips on how to try and get my name out and around. I know playing out as much as possible and social media are a good start, but is there anything else? My guitarist signed us up to a booking agency, but I'm not a fan of the whole pay to play thing (if that should occur) . But any other tricks or ideas floating around I should know about? All help is appreciated.

Thanks fellas.

2. BassCliff

BassCliff

Hi,

Here are a couple of suggestions to get you started.

My band uses several agencies and booking agents. They usually book us on high-dollar private and corporate events so we don't mind paying them 15% or so.

You'll want to put together an EPK, Electronic Press Kit. This is usually in the form of a PDF file that you can email to your clients, clubs, event venues, booking agents, etc. This PDF file will have pictures, bios, links to online video and audio sources as well as a link to your website where you will have more pictures, testimonies, video, and whatever assorted hype you deem necessary.

You can print up some flyers of your EPK and mail them but hard copies of press kits and CDs are much less popular these days because everyone has computers, internet, and there are so many online resources.

Bandzoogle.com is one web service that is band-related and can host your band's website. My band's website: The Kelly Rae Band.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

3. ambissonnett

ambissonnett

Much appreciated man, thanks! Any other ideas guys?

4. mellowinman

mellowinman Guaranteed to break the Ice at Naughty Parties Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Sharpie.

Ladies room wall.

GO!!!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Ukiah Bass

Ukiah Bass Supporting Member

What kind of music do you play, is it originals / covers / both, what kind of venues are you seeking, what kind of local competition do you face, what fee-range are you seeking, how old is your target audience, etc.? Information like this helps with microtargeting your marketing program. Otherwise asking for vague advice is like throwing darts at a wall.

7. ambissonnett

ambissonnett

We're an original loud, rock, heavy blues band. We're all in our mid 20s, and we're open to anyone as an audience. It's hard to pin point everything you want to know. We're not in it just for money, but anything that comes along we'll gladly take. Whether that's for merchandise, marketing, or personal reasons, I can't say. I was just looking for any ideas that can help spread our name out larger areas.

8. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

TIP: don't play loud, I'm mean don't be wimpy, but don't be LOUD either - and to get the band name out there, the band really needs to get out there, so play anywhere and everywhere you can, even benefits for free - just don't ever pay to play.

9. Runnerman

Runnerman Registered Bass Player Supporting Member

I think there is an unrealistic expectation sometimes that if we have a good band we will get gigs. Not necessarily true. Part of band life is promotion...all the time. If you don't have business cards, get some and network, network, network. Get out in your live music scene. See other bands and talk to them and build relationships, meet the sound man and whoever is booking the clubs and drop them your card. Keep talking to everyone and anyone and eventually you will get some opportunities. Don't give up.

If you have a single or EP, get an EPK (electronic press kit). Send your EPK to the venues you want to play. Send your EPK to festivals, as many as you can find. Yes, even the "Ham and Yam" festival or whatever. We use the Reverbnation EPK which is free for the first x months...I can't remember and then a marginal fee to keep it going.

Make sure every band member knows it is their job to promote the band and find playing opportunities. If you are an originals band the sad fact is that you will probably have to play for little or free until you build a following. Avoid "pay-to-play" whenever you can but don't be afraid of gigs where you have to sell tickets and do promotion...it's your job to bring in the audience at the end of the day.

Build a fanlist with emails and FB likes and stay in touch with your fans. Send regular updates of what you are doing and involve the fans if you can.....we have done some contests for t-shirt and sticker design and offered swag rewards.

Booking agencies can be fine, especially if you can do a short term 6 mo to 1 year agreement with them. That way you try them out and they try you out. The sad fact again is that there are many bad booking agencies. The good ones typically have a lot of buzz and a full slate of bands. The national booking agencies like AFTON can get you some gigs, but they are not a long term solution as you get paid little and ticket prices are astronomical.....and many times you are booked with bands or artists that are totally different genres and/or horrible. But...you can get some exposure and networking so you have to weigh the pros/cons.

Finally, make sure you have a good product. Make sure you are not just going on stage to play music you like...you need to incorporate showmanship and put on a seamless enjoyable entertainment experience for the audience. If you do this, you will generate some buzz as well. When you get your chances take them and make the most of them.

10. pglaser01

pglaser01

Disclosures:
    If only I were that good....
    +1,000
    Had a wedding Saturday afternoon, so didn't really want to go out after on Saturday night, but also knew I really want to get the new band I just joined in the network. So I sucked it up, went and watched some bands play, talked to them and the sound guy at the venue. I now have a contact with another band, and a sound engineer at multiple venues just by talking to them and saying," hey you guys sound pretty good!"

11. BassCliff

BassCliff

Mr. mellowinman,

Brilliant! Why didn't I think of this?

You are such a practical, common sense guy. ;)

And *cost-effective* too! :D

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

12. spaz21387

spaz21387

"ladies for a good time call reanimated" bahahaha

13. BayStateBass

BayStateBass

Network with other local bands of similar genre and see if you can get in as an "opener" for them. Or maybe "special guest". You probably won't get paid, but it will help you get a foot in the door and gets you out there. When I played in the country band, that's how we got our name out there.

Be careful of some of the agencies. We had dealings with one that is pretty prominent and markets to a lot of new bands/inexperienced bands, and it was not good. We found out afterward that our experience was not uncommon. We kinda knew it going in but figured we'd give it a shot anyway. It was a typical "pay to play" scheme and all we got were lies and a good old fashioned screwing.

14. since197three

since197three

Look into a marketing firm. My band used a firm a few years ago for radio marketing and it got us out in a lot of areas. Received weekly spreadsheets with spin counts and comments. Pretty cool.