Tis the Season...

Discussion in 'Orchestral Auditions [DB]' started by two_five_into_I, Aug 22, 2012.

1. two_five_into_I

two_five_into_I

of Worrying and stressing out about college Auditions.

I have a year and a half until i have to audition into a music college. Right now I'm looking at UNCG, UNCSA, JMU, Shenandoah, UNCC, and probably VCU as my last choice. My concern here is that I've only been using a bow for about 4 months, so while my left hand can handle difficult selections, my right hand can't. I was wondering if anybody had an audition pieces that they might recommend that would be something i can work on for a year that I could get hands down. Right now the only piece i can really play is the Elephant, so that'll be a start of where I am so far classically.

So I'm stuck between auditioning for classical performance, and being far behind, or auditioning for jazz studies, and being just right.

thanks for the advice ahead of time guys,
    Alex.
  2. ThumpPlunkJunk

ThumpPlunkJunk

Find a teacher nearby who can help you with this--we really can't do much to improve your right hand technique except give advice. You'll need someone to look at what you're doing and tell you what you need to do better.

So, first step is find a teacher.

Explain you want to audition for music school--most likely he'll do what my teacher did and push a lot of repertoire into you while going over technique at the same time. It's a daunting task but you can go far in a year and a half with the right teacher and work ethic.
  3. Bubbabass

Bubbabass

Seriously. Minor in music, and major in business administration, IT, engineering...
    Enjoy the music and don't stress over being behind the classical curve.
  4. eerbrev

eerbrev

listen to this guy. Also, become obsessed.

eerbrev
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Tyler_W

Tyler_W

I take it you're taking lessons from Chris White, yeah? Just let him know what your goals are and he'll get you there!