1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

TI's vs GHS Presision Flats

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by bassdog, Feb 25, 2013.

1. bassdog

bassdog

I love TI's. The set I have on my PJ are 10 years old and am thinking of trying the GHS. I have taken the TI's on and off a number of basses over the years and I think they may have been structurally compromised a little. I see some of the windings are seperating just a smidge and I don't want to risk a broken string in the middle of a gig. How do you think I'll like the Precision Flats? Looking to save a few dollars. Will they last 10 years like the TI's?

Bob

2. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

:cool:
    If your like me, and love TI flats, stay with them.
    I tried both the TI's and the GHS flats.
    The GHS are a good substitute, for the TI flats.
    But as still not a good JMO.
    The great thing about TI flats is they may cost more up front.
    But you save money in the long run because the last forever.
    I have a set on one of my fenders, for seven years, they sound better than when I put them on.

3. waynobass

waynobass Supporting Member

What?

GHS Precision flats are my favorite. They will last for years like any other flats, assuming you aren't hammering on them wildly or anything.

4. Diesel Kilgore

Diesel Kilgore

GHS P flats are my favorite flat. Shiny and slick out of the package. Old and thumpy sounding from the get go. The cheapest flat but one of the best imo. I have chromes on another and the brightness fits for that bass. I just wish they had the feel of the GHS'. The chromes feel "sticky".

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bassdog

bassdog

Thanks for the replies. What is the tension like of the medium set? I can't seem to find info about the core, round vs hex. I like the lower tension of a round core. I am used to the feel of the TI set and need the softer playing feel.

Bob

7. Diesel Kilgore

Diesel Kilgore

I have the light set on my short scale. So the tension is already lowered. Can't really speak of them on a long scale but the tension is lower with that light set on this bass then rounds ive used. If I were to use them on a long scale I would be inclined to go light. Just to get that butter tension.

8. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny Gold Supporting Member

I liked the sound of the GHS 105-45 Precision flat set ok but found them waaaaay stiffer feeling than the TIs. Apples and oranges as far as tension goes.

9. bassdog

bassdog

Hmmm. Sounds like they won't have that soft playing feel that I like. I'll take a look at light gauge maybe.

Bob

10. salcott

salcott Supporting Member

If you love T-Is, why change?

11. Grateful

Grateful Supporting Member

GHS's IME are closer to LaBellas, tension and tone-wise. Personally I could never stick with TI's as I felt there was way too little tension. I'd try TI's again if they weren't so abnormally expensive.

But if you got 10 years out of the TI's and you like them, why change?

12. bassdog

bassdog

"But if you got 10 years out of the TI's and you like them, why change?"

Just thinking I can get strings I still like for a lot less money honey. TI's and a set of too high tension Chromes are the only flat I have ever tried.

Bob

13. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny Gold Supporting Member

Over ten years a set of TI's is less than 2 cents a day.

14. leegreenman

leegreenman

If you're used to TI's, other flats aren't going to feel or sound right. That has been my experience at least.

15. gary m

gary m

GHS, no question. TIs just don't do it for me.

16. swsmusic

swsmusic

I have used the Rotosound Flats, Fender Flats and the Chromes and I like the Chromes the best. The only thing I don't like about the Chromes is that they do feel a little sticky. I have never tried the TI's or the Labellas, but would love to. I have Chromes on my '79 Rickenbacker 4001 and on my '93 pbass...but I am ready to try something new. There are just too many choices...

17. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

I like and use both TIs and GHS Ps. I prefer the slightly higher tension of the GHSPs. With the TIs I have to pluck nearer the bridge on more lively songs. I personally don't care for Chromes (I have them on my '66J which I don't play), don't like the tone (bright), the tension (high) or the feel (sticky, but maybe with more play that would lessen). I can see why Chromes appeal to people though, especially more Rock or Slap oriented..

At near $100 I would balk at getting another pair of TIs for a 5er. Thats 4 1/2 sets of GHSPs, which I REALLY like anyway.

18. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

I have Chromes on one P bass, too bright; hoping they'll mellow some. I have GHS on another P bass; I like them fairly well, but the E string sounds a little mushy. I had Fender flats on my 51 reissue; too stiff; it's now sporting TIs. My main gigging P bass has TIs. I think TIs are perfect, love the sound and the tension. If you're happy with the TIs, get them. Who wants to spend years with something less that what one wants?

19. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

If you're buying them for $100 a pair, that would come to $300 to string up a five string. Who is selling them in pairs?

20. bassdog

bassdog

Thanks again for the input. I have moved my TIs off my PJ to my J for a trial run. If I like, I'll get a new set and not look back. I've had my Am. Std. J for a year now and never put flats on it. I always sort of prescribed to the flats on the P, rounds on the J. But I'm going the opposite right now. The nickel rounds are on my PJ. Playing TI Jazz Flats just feels good. Sounds good too. :) Spend the $ on what I know I like. I remember wasting $50 on the set of Chromes that are in my drawer right now. :-(

Bob

21. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Pair, set, semantics.

I have rounds on 3 of my Ps, the flats are on my '66J and Zon 5/1. My only P with flats is a J/P/J. That's how I get a low mid out of J PUPs.