1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is still pending approval by Apple. If you haven't yet, try using your mobile browser - TalkBass is responsive to any screen size.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

TLC "Waterfalls" bassist?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by MacheteJames, Sep 14, 2004.

1. MacheteJames

MacheteJames

Who laid down the bass line on this song? I've heard it a million times but I never really paid attention to the bass. It totally makes the song, though. I thought the parts that feature a wah-pedal sound were guitar, but now I'm pretty sure they are bass. It sounds like the line was improvised, as it doesn't really repeat itself at any point except for the overall theme. Man, this guy (or girl?) can PLAY, whoever it is....
  2. NJL

NJL

3. NJL

NJL

i take it back, it only shows four people, bummer....
  4. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Disclosures:
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Marq "Remarqable" Jefferson. He's in my motorcycle club. He played his "best ho'" on that song. That's what he calls his white Sadowsky 4, because "she brings in the money". He's one of the greatest guys you'd ever meet. He also co-wrote the tedious "Yeah" song by Usher. BTW, "Waterfalls" was improvised. Good ear! ;)
  5. MacheteJames

MacheteJames

You're the man... I knew someone here would know who it was. What other stuff has he played on, besides that and with Usher?
  6. DigMe

DigMe

I don't know but I COULD tell you who played bass on Weird Al's version.

brad cook
  7. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange

Disclosures:
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I really dug Bill Murray's version.
  8. rodoherty1

rodoherty1

Improvised??? That kind of talent makes me weak in the stomach. I've always loved that line but I always assumed the Mr. Remarqable sat down and worked it out for a while before recording.

Great stuff !!
  9. Starrchild

Starrchild

One of my favorites bass lines, he also played on most of Outkast and Society of soul (both from the dungeon family).

There's some very funky player's from Hotlanta, including Woodchuck from what i hear.
  10. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Disclosures:
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    You're TOO kind! Thanks. He also played on a project called Sleepy's Theme. He and Preston "P Groover" Crump. Atlanta has some bassists here that will make you quit!
  11. jenderfazz

jenderfazz

Now that I recall that song, I remember the bassline. That song was one of my favorites when I was like 10. Cool song - nice to know that I noticed the bassline back then!
  12. danharris

danharris

i know this thread is almost 10 years old but...didn't Debra Killings play bass for TLC
  13. stretchcat

stretchcat

Well since this thread is back....

I thought I read that Lamarquis cut that tune with a Ken Smith 6 string and not a Sadowsky. It doesn't really matter though because he played such a great line.