TLC "Waterfalls" bassist?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by MacheteJames, Sep 14, 2004.

1. Who laid down the bass line on this song? I've heard it a million times but I never really paid attention to the bass. It totally makes the song, though. I thought the parts that feature a wah-pedal sound were guitar, but now I'm pretty sure they are bass. It sounds like the line was improvised, as it doesn't really repeat itself at any point except for the overall theme. Man, this guy (or girl?) can PLAY, whoever it is....
  2. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
  3. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    i take it back, it only shows four people, bummer....
  4. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Marq "Remarqable" Jefferson. He's in my motorcycle club. He played his "best ho'" on that song. That's what he calls his white Sadowsky 4, because "she brings in the money". He's one of the greatest guys you'd ever meet. He also co-wrote the tedious "Yeah" song by Usher. BTW, "Waterfalls" was improvised. Good ear! ;)
  5. Sponsored by:

6. You're the man... I knew someone here would know who it was. What other stuff has he played on, besides that and with Usher?
  7. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I don't know but I COULD tell you who played bass on Weird Al's version.

brad cook
  8. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I really dug Bill Murray's version.
  9. Improvised??? That kind of talent makes me weak in the stomach. I've always loved that line but I always assumed the Mr. Remarqable sat down and worked it out for a while before recording.

Great stuff !!
  10. Starrchild

Nov 10, 2000
    The Bay.
    One of my favorites bass lines, he also played on most of Outkast and Society of soul (both from the dungeon family).

There's some very funky player's from Hotlanta, including Woodchuck from what i hear.
  11. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    You're TOO kind! Thanks. He also played on a project called Sleepy's Theme. He and Preston "P Groover" Crump. Atlanta has some bassists here that will make you quit!
  12. Now that I recall that song, I remember the bassline. That song was one of my favorites when I was like 10. Cool song - nice to know that I noticed the bassline back then!
  13. i know this thread is almost 10 years old but...didn't Debra Killings play bass for TLC
  14. stretchcat

stretchcat Supporting Member

Jul 22, 2004
    Metro Atlanta, GA
    Well since this thread is back....

I thought I read that Lamarquis cut that tune with a Ken Smith 6 string and not a Sadowsky. It doesn't really matter though because he played such a great line.