1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

To adjust now or wait?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Casting Thunder, Dec 26, 2012.

1. Casting Thunder

Casting Thunder

I've been noticed for a few months now that my bass' neck is warping just alittle, since it's still completely playable with no fret buzz I haven't bothered messing with the truss rod. I'm about to change strings and wondering if now would be a good time to adjust or just wait.
  2. worxforme

worxforme Self Actualized Bad Speller Supporting Member

I do it when I change the strings, so I would.
  3. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

adjust it when it's off.

if it gets out of line again later, adjust it again.

not a big deal.
  4. 96tbird

96tbird Supporter Supporting Member

Anytime is a good time to adjust the truss if you feel you need/want to.
  5. Slowgypsy

Slowgypsy 4 Fretless Strings Supporting Member

I'm curious... if you believe the truss rod on your bass could use a small tweak... what would the reason be to not do that small adjustment?
  6. Casting Thunder

Casting Thunder

I just have "If its not REALLY broke, don't fix it" on a loop in the back of my head. Plus I'm abit nervous about messing with truss rod for the first time. But I know if I go slow enough nothing will happen, and there isn't anyone I'd trust besides myself to make said adjustment.
  7. carl h.

carl h.

Now that is sad AND scary at the same time.

You might not know anyone locally whom you trust, but there are many competent people out there. It's not a big deal, but trusting yourself - who has never done it before - over everyone else is...
  8. Epitaph04

Epitaph04 Supporting Member

Adjusting a truss rod really is not anywhere nearly as bad as some people make it out to be. Your neck won't snap in half, you wont break your mothers back. Just go in and adjust it and you'll be fine.
  9. Casting Thunder

Casting Thunder

ugg, just managed to snap the A string...will revisit the truss rod in afew days when I have a full set again.
  10. 96tbird

96tbird Supporter Supporting Member

As always, I suggest you loosen it a quarter turn or more and then tighten it back up the sane amount. This way you get the feel of the pressure it takes to tighten it and you know that you are safe because you are just turning it back to where it began. You then have experience. Reads up on how they work and then you'll understand how to prestress the neck to allow easy tightening.
  11. Swipter

Swipter

I took one of my basses to a shop to set it up, paid the money and got it done. What did I learn? That they did not know what they were doing or wanted something different from me. Now I set my own basses up. No big deal.