1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

To all of you that dont like the ODs of M9/M13 (POD HD500 content)

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Koffelito, Apr 8, 2011.

1. Koffelito

Koffelito

I have read alot about people not being to happy with the M9 and M13 for distorsion and OD sounds.

I read a little more about the pod HD500 and found something interesting.

Yuu can use two chains so you can mix a clean signal with a distorted one and use two different amp models or none if you like. Check out the program HD500 edit.

This must almost be as good as it gets. And maybee even a little better if they release some new amp patches that are made for bass.

Here is a screendump. Dont hang up on the order of the pedals.
    What do you think about the general idea?

Attached Files:

• Sk
      Sk
      File size:
      83.8 KB
      Views:
  2. cybersnyder

cybersnyder Always groove.... Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist: Xsonics cabinets
    Zero interest in the HD500 until it has amp sims for bass. Well, I guess zero interest isn't exactly correct, but call it a minor protest.

Can you run what would essentially be two M9s in parallel?
  3. Koffelito

Koffelito

If think you could get a really good basssound if you use the bassman or hiwatt amps without cab simulation.

You can place up to eight fxs anywhere on the line or the two splitt signals as you see on the picture. You can put an amp sim wherever you want and only on one split signal if you want.

Try downloading the PODHD500 edit if you like. Like 30 mb from line6 website and you can try out placements.

The only thing im concered about is that i have read posts by i think it was you or someone else that knew that some developer at line6 played bass also so you think there will come updates to the M9/M13 with dedicated bass effects and i hope they will be available to the HD500 to or else the M9/M13 have an edge.

Thats my only concern but i will try to try them out side by side. My original plan was to run an M9 inte my Augilar tonehammer but just one floorpod would be easier for transport.
  4. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

I want to like and use Line 6 stuff, but they have completely abandoned bass players. We were an after-thought with the PodX3, and not even a thought with the HD series.

If the Variax bass would have been in a jazz style body, or offered as a "drop in" like other preamps, and if they would have done some follow up like they have with guitars, I would probably play one. Would save me a lot of hassle.

Likewise with the Pod. I use one at church and like it quite a bit to be honest. The Bass PodXT was pretty nice. Again, a little follow through and updating would be appreciated.

Sorry for the tangent. I know it's a numbers thing, but we all know that bass players are much more likely to "accept" new technology and ideas than guitar players. How many guitar players still need their tube amp cranked while bass playere are willing to use 5 pound digital amps.
  5. xikbastard

xikbastard

i am still waiting for a distortion, dirt, or something effect that comes with a blend knob. that is so damn important its not event funny.
  6. gillento

gillento

7. Koffelito

Koffelito

If you look at my picture you see that you can blend in distorsion with a clean signal with the HD500. I have put all the effects in that example in a sidechannel but you can put only the OD/distorsion in side channel if you like.
  8. xikbastard

xikbastard

i am using a m9 theres no option for that :(
  9. Koffelito

Koffelito

No i meant that the POD HD 500 could be a better option.
  10. moles

moles

You could do the two-parallel-channel thing on the X3 as well, and it *has* bass amps.
    Might be a good time to snap up a cheap one on the used market, now that the HD is out...
  11. cybersnyder

Disclosures:
    I'm tempted to try an HD 500, but I'm kinda boycotting it until they come out with some bass amps. It has to happen.
  12. TheMutt

TheMutt

Disclosures:
    Operations and Warehouse, Guitar Center Rancho Cucamonga
    I'm doubtful about Line6 ever catering to bassists in such a way. When the POD HD series first came out, I contacted them about the possibility of there ever being bass amp models made for these units. I was brushed off and told that while they do not make bass gear anymore that most bassists were using the M9/13 for their needs.

Since then I haven't had GAS for anything that Line6 has made because it's all been more of the same. I'm not asking for a bass-specific product, I just wanted some modeling that caters to the bass crowd. But, such is the music industry for the most part. So I'll be spending my money on other effects companies who make things I can use.
  13. shrigg

shrigg Supporting Member

14. cybersnyder

Disclosures:
    They came out with the B-15 model 9 months ago or so. Too little too late for me. Sold all my Line 6 amp modeling gear except a POD XT and it just died on me a couple days ago. I still like my JHV3 modded M5. That's a versatile swiss army knife. If they ever revamp the M series, I'd buy the update. Honestly, I don't expect Line 6 to be around for much monger. The last two NAMMs had the PA system as their big showpiece items. I've never seen one at a store or out in the wild anywhere. Nobody is going to invest big bucks into a lot of digital stuff for their PA. (Just an opinion, of course.)
  15. shrigg

shrigg Supporting Member

Hmm, interesting. All the more reason to horde my Drasp fully modded DL4!

[​IMG]