To ALL the Bruno Mars Threads....

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by faulknersj, Feb 3, 2014.

1. faulknersj

faulknersj Gold Supporting Member

A) The guys in these bands don't get to decide if they play live, the network does. (Either way, both Bruno Mars and RHCP are more than capable of rocking tight live shows.)

Therefore, there are 3 choices:
    1) Accept these parameters in exchange for an opportunity to expose an audience of a 100 million+ viewers to your songs.

2) Say no and hold on to what you consider to be 'your artistic integrity.'

3) Do what Nirvana did on this show in 1991 when they were told only the vocal would be live...the best band on live TV hi-jinks ever!!

B) If you don't know who Bruno Mars is.....well.....you do now. Newsflash....He is arguably the biggest up and coming pop star alive today. He was arguably the biggest pop artist of 2013. He co-wrote 'F%$# YOU' or...'Forget You' by Cee Lo. If you haven't heard of him...and think that somehow 'your not knowing' diminishes how huge the guy is....I have another newsflash for you....you just exposed yourself....that is what you did....as way out of touch with what the kids are digging to the tune of millions of downloads today. I can just hear your parents now....."Beatles who?...no one 'I' know has ever heard of them' lol as if that de-legitimized them.

C) You aren't really into pop music.

Ok...that is totally cool...we get that! But...you likely know as much about pop and what pop fans like as a dishwasher at your local Chili's knows about the paint the guy is selling down the street at Sherwin Williams, or as much as a typical teen pop fan today knows about Captain Beefheart or Modal Jazz.

So let me sum it up...you don't like pop...really any pop. That's great, but unfortunately it limits your input to...'I don't like pop.' Not really very exciting is it. if our contribution to a metal thread is 'I don't like metal'...that just isn't very exciting either. Nor is...I don't like jazz...or I don't like rock....or i don't like slap....or i don't like Jazz Basses....Yawn!! Boring!!

You don't like pop. Cool. Pretty proud of you. Now back to this and all the other threads about the biggest pop artist of right now....

2. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

You had me in the palm of your hand until right about there.... :)I get your point and yes Bruno is a star and a pretty nice guy I was rocking right along side them I know all of those songs the only thing I didn't like was the fact that Flea wasn't even plugged into anything at least do that.

3. faulknersj

Did you watch the Nirvana video up there? If not....watch it....some of the best hi-jinks ever....

4. FretlessMainly

FretlessMainly

I found it completely unwatchable/unlistenable and your opinion of my opinion and what that says or doesn't say about me or the Easter Bunny is meaningless.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. hdracer

hdracer Supporting Member

7. danharris

danharris

ya that nirvana video is classic, i loved the 90's

8. nutdog

nutdog Supporting Member

Actually the dishwasher at the local Chili's used to work at Sherwin Williams. Well, not really work. He just looked like he was working. But it was his decision. The man has integrity.

9. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Yes sir and only Kurt could have pull that off it was a F' you to the music industry and most people got it and loved it. I'm glad I was around before social media got control of the music business there were a lot of ugly people in the music business when I grew up in the sixties now not so many I'm sure some exec today would have kept Paul for a solo career and dumped the other three. I can tell you two albums that wouldn't get a green light today 1.Stevie Wonder's Songs in The Key Of Life 2. Prince's 1999. I also think today artists are more concerned about YouTube hits,twitter followers and Facebook likes than their music and most can't even perform without IEM's.

10. Bald Steve

Bald Steve Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fodera Basses, Aguilar Amplification
    +1

11. steamthief

steamthief

Meh, the Box Tops played the game better than Nirvana....

12. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

I wonder when the OP will figure out that the way to make friends and build influence with people (f2f or online) is not to begin by insulting them?

13. JoeWPgh

JoeWPgh

Most 'pop' music is garbage. It's not even right to call it music. It's product. But before you bark at me for being an old fuddyduddy, it has ALWAYS been that way. So nothing new there. It's also completely disingenuous to cite the Beatles as being typical of pop music of that era. By that token, Hendrix was a typical guitarist, Miles was a typical trumpeter and Picasso was a typical painter.
    That said, I enjoyed their show. For me, what sets them apart from most of the noise is that they seem to display a real appreciation for the artists that came before them. I heard all kind of Motown and classic rock in their material, and not in a simple imitative way. Still, I doubt I'll rush out and buy any.

14. Fat Steve

Fat Steve The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.

No insult felt here. +1 to the OP.

15. faulknersj

My intention is not to insult...and if i did...my apologies. I have read all of the Bruno Mars threads that have been posted on TB since halftime yesterday...my post is meant to be read within that context. Perhaps if you read through those threads this post will make more sense as it is reactionary.

16. faulknersj

I hear ya...the Beatles were revolutionary....even if a ton of their songs do follow a pop format. The point of my statement was that 'MY' not being aware of something does not by any means delegitimize its standing, stature, or accomplishments..

17. Rezdog

Rezdog Supporting Member

Greetings from the North,

Ya Man! :hyper:

Rezdog

18. Milk

Milk

Hmm, there's a very long history of bands goofing off on Top of the Pops. One of my favorite band, The Cure, has appeared on the show many times in the 80's and refused to play it straight. The bassist "playing" a guitar, the whole band holding their instruments without straps, Robert Smith "singing" only half the time (no live vocals in the 80's), the keyboardist dancing with a girl in the crowd instead of playing. I believe once they just dressed up in costumes and didn't play anything if i remember it well. They never went with it, and they're far from being the only band to have done this. Nirvana were just following that tradition.

19. BenWhoPlaysBass

BenWhoPlaysBass

I thought he was talking about a machine dishwasher. I feel really stupid now. haha

20. faulknersj

That's awesome! I would love to see some of those Cure vids!!

21. Clef_de_fa

Clef_de_fa

Sure but it is still pop music there is more progress in the shadow where music is the focus not your dance moves.