to buy or not to buy

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by adriaan, Jan 28, 2014.

1. adriaan

adriaan

Dear colleagues,

I decided to start to learn double bass 2 years ago, and I feel that it is time to purchase my own bass.

Here are some facts:
    - I can not spend more than 2500 euro on it (about 3500 USD)
    - I play jazz, mostly pizzicato
    - I only play amplified when necessary
    - I play about a gig a week

I tried about 5 basses by now, massive and plywood, old and new; and I feel that I have a favorite candidate: a plywood Musima bass for 1200 euro (about 1600 USD).

However, before buying, I want to gather as much fresh advice as possible, and I felt that it would be usefull to ask the community some questions:

1) Do you have experience with Musima basses?
    2) The ticket inside says: Musima bass, Markneukircken, MSB2 3/4, built: '02, which must be 2002. I thought Musima was gone bankrupt in the '90s? Does the company still exist?
    3) Do these basses keep their value? I.e. will there still be a market for them within 5 years or so?
    4) the fingerboard looks ebony, but I am not sure. Is there a way to find out?

It was already looked at by my teacher ('good value'), and a renowed classical bass player ('good enough to play in a bar').

I am looking forward to your reactions.

Best,
    Adriaan

2. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

I think you got good answers from your teacher and other player. If it's a good bass now, there will be a market for it at that price in 5 years. You could scratch the underside of the FB and see if the wood is still dark. If it's light, it's not ebony.