1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

to buy or not to buy

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by adriaan, Jan 28, 2014.

1. adriaan

adriaan

Dear colleagues,

I decided to start to learn double bass 2 years ago, and I feel that it is time to purchase my own bass.

Here are some facts:
    - I can not spend more than 2500 euro on it (about 3500 USD)
    - I play jazz, mostly pizzicato
    - I only play amplified when necessary
    - I play about a gig a week

I tried about 5 basses by now, massive and plywood, old and new; and I feel that I have a favorite candidate: a plywood Musima bass for 1200 euro (about 1600 USD).

However, before buying, I want to gather as much fresh advice as possible, and I felt that it would be usefull to ask the community some questions:

1) Do you have experience with Musima basses?
    2) The ticket inside says: Musima bass, Markneukircken, MSB2 3/4, built: '02, which must be 2002. I thought Musima was gone bankrupt in the '90s? Does the company still exist?
    3) Do these basses keep their value? I.e. will there still be a market for them within 5 years or so?
    4) the fingerboard looks ebony, but I am not sure. Is there a way to find out?

It was already looked at by my teacher ('good value'), and a renowed classical bass player ('good enough to play in a bar').

I am looking forward to your reactions.

Best,
    Adriaan
  2. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

I think you got good answers from your teacher and other player. If it's a good bass now, there will be a market for it at that price in 5 years. You could scratch the underside of the FB and see if the wood is still dark. If it's light, it's not ebony.