To early to join a band

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Sigying, Dec 1, 2012.

1. Sigying

Sigying

Sorry not sure if this is the right thread.

I just got asked to join a band by one of my friends, but I'm not sure. I've been playing nearly 8 months and I'm just getting better at figuring out the rhythm and everything else basically, except I still find it hard detecting the tuning and frets used.

So is it too early? Or will playing with other people help me learn faster?

2. kreider204

kreider204

YES!!!! I joined a band after only about 6 months, and it was the best thing I ever did to improve my playing. Do it!!! :)

3. Winfred

Winfred

Practicing and playing are the only ways to improve. Join the band.

4. Sigying

Sigying

hahahah did it help with like your technique and being able to change frets quickly?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

+1 to all the above in support ... the only caveat would be to try to play with others just a bit advanced where you are at, and not bite off more than you are capable of to the point that you become discouraged .. the right supportive group around you will surely help you advance in ways you would nevef be aware playing alone or to recorded music ...

... probably the most important thing to consider when beginning to play with others is to try and be prepared ... communication ahead of time can be very important, so you have a basic idea coming into the session what is expected, and then do your part in the woodshed to try to be prepared for that .. it may change once you get there, but you will more than likely still have a much better foundation than if you just walked in cold .. and most importantly ... relax, be attentive, and enjoy ... and if works well, thank them all for their time and support .. then ask when you can do it again :) .. JMHO

7. Pbass4003

Pbass4003

It's never too early. Playing with better musicians (especially a drummer), will only accelerate your playing... if you're willing to put in the time to WORK.

8. RFord04

RFord04 Supporting Member

Do it. The worst that could happen is they realize you're not ready, and your back to where you are now, but as most said, it's the best way to get better, assuming they're all decent players. The best way to get better at something is to be around others who are better at it than you are. You will strive to get up to there speed, and with a little practice and talent, you can get there pretty quickly.

9. Sigying

Sigying

Yeah that's what I'm scared of, that if I do start to play with them and it turns out they're all really good. I'd feel out of place then and feel like I'm keeping them back

10. Sigying

Sigying

But I'm still thinking about it, also there's the problem that they live out of town and it might be hard to get there hahahahah

11. Jim Nazium

Jim Nazium

Look at it this way bro, you need to play 500 crappy jams / rehearsals before you can play a good one, so the sooner you start, the sooner you'll get them out of the way.

12. MalcolmAmos

MalcolmAmos Supporting Member

How old are you? Do you have a driver's license? If not well, that could be a big problem.

13. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member

Of course you should join a band. Why wouldn't you?

14. Sigying

Sigying

Lets just say I'm not old enough for my L's yet. It's 40 minutes on the train, but 40 minutes there and 40 minutes back takes time away from playing, I don't have a problem with it but my mum thinks an hour and 20 minutes is a long time

15. puddin tame

puddin tame

If they know you've only been playing for 8 months they know what to expect so don't sweat it. Just stick to the root notes and simplify when you have to.

I didn't join a band (not counting school bands) until i'd been playing for 8 years because I was afraid of getting out there until I thought I was good (not wanted to be known as a sucky player). The consequence I found was that I was a really good player with little band experience so I probably made more than a few poor band-joining decisions leading me to wasting a lot of time playing with tools. It's good to get band experience and that can be an entirely separate thing from playing / jamming experience

16. Plays_For_Dog

Plays_For_Dog

^This^ I started playing bass one week before I joined my first band. I actually started playing bass just to get in the band. Luckily we were young and the guitarist was taking lessons. We all had patience with one another and it ended up lasting for about 5 years and a studio recorded album. Album never went anywhere of course, but it was a cool experience in the process.

If they are patient and willing to help you along, it will help you significantly advance in your abilities and confidence.

17. MalcolmAmos

MalcolmAmos Supporting Member

OK, that out of the way. Yes find something you can get to. You will learn all kinds of neat things playing with others.

We have open jamming in my home town. You can always find me downtown on the third Saturday of each month in one of the jamming circles. Look around and take advantage of what ever is available.

http://mineolabuzz.com/BUZZ/TX/MINEOLA/music-on-main-street/ Friendly people playing music together, it's all good. The young girl playing the fiddle has grown in the last year to where you can now pass her the lead and she can play a lead break - by ear - from just hearing a couple of verses of the song. Yep, we learn from each other.

18. Sigying

Sigying

That's cool, now my last and hardest obstacle is telling my mum I only know one person in the band and the rest are his friends hahahahah

19. MannyIII

MannyIII

Go for it, I've been playing for 10 months, I say do it. I played with my uncle 30 yrs exp. guitar player,.I learned so much in those 2 hours its ridiculous. It's really hard to get that type of knowledge. I personally can't wait to join a band. I have two kids (1,3) i practice like 4 times a week. Do it dude!!!

20. Groove Master

Groove Master

I joined a band after only 1 month. You should do it!!!

21. Jhengsman

Jhengsman

David Hodge put a short joke at the beginning of The Complete Idiot's Guide to Playing Bass Guitar. The punch line was a kid blew off his third lesson to start learning notes on the A string because he had a gig that day