To flu shot or not to flu shot

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by slobake, Oct 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slobake

slobake Supporting Member

That is the question. My company gives us free flu shots. I got one last year and it set me back a little. I didn't really get sick I just felf off a little achey for a couple of days. Decision time for this year.
  2. Chunk-O-Funk

Chunk-O-Funk

I get one every year. Never had a problem with the shot.
  3. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

As long as flu shots have been available to me I have refused to take them, with no consequence.
    For that reason I continue to turn them down.

YMMV
  4. CTC564

CTC564 Gold Supporting Member

I've worked in hospitals for 20+ years and have never gotten a flu vaccine
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. slobake

I'm leaning in that direction too. Be interesting to see if I get the flu this year. If I do can I blame youz guys? :p
  7. Jim Nazium

Jim Nazium Supporting Member

FWIW, I always get one. Usually I don't notice any reaction to the shot, but once or twice I have felt slightly feverish for a day or two afterward. Still better than the full-blown flu.
  8. malthumb

malthumb

I used to pass on the flu shot. Then one year I got the flu. Not the bad cold that people often mistake for the flu. I got the flu. About 8 days of 100+ degree fever, vomiting, pooping, cold chills while sweating, shivering uncontrollably, and intense aching all over my body.

After that I get a flu shot every year. As do my wife and kids.
  9. jasper383

jasper383 Supporting Member

Compared to the bedridden 3-7 days of "I think I might die" that the flu gives you, I would get the shot.
  10. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Dont you put that on me, Ricky Bobby!

If you dont get the shot then you can only blame your immune system. Mine's a champ.

Do you trust your immune system?
  11. jasper383

+1

I am convinced that most people who think they have had the flu at some point haven't.

Stomach bugs where you are throwing up for 24 hours are not the flu.
  12. slobake

After what I have put it through? Yes!
  13. mongo2

mongo2

I'm getting one in about a half hour. The injection area is usually achy for a couple of days but that's been it as far as adverse reactions for me.
  14. bassinplace

bassinplace

I'll always take a pass on the (what I consider to be) superfluous injections. ;) I never get the flu anyway and if I did then I figure my system must've needed a good housecleaning. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
  15. bolophonic

bolophonic

I never got a flu shot for like, 20 years. Then I got the flu twice in three years. Now we have a baby, so I got one. Both times I had it, I understood very clearly how people die from the flu.
  16. slobake

I have had the flu before it was awful. In bed for a week, 2 exits no waiting (if you know what I mean :eek:) body aches, fever. Took me another couple of weeks to get back to normal. Hey, I just used the word 'normal" and me in the same sentence. :scowl: Still I think I am going to pass this year.
  17. dozicusmaximus

dozicusmaximus

I'm loaded up on my gov drugs for a lifetime. After being a pincushion in boot camp. No more for me.
    Actually flu shots a few years after the Military.
    I did get "swine flu" a few years back. It was only 3 days of hell. Not too bad. I think that was the last time I had a flu shot.
  18. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN" Supporting Member

no shots for me either! i've been on your planet for decades and have had the flu less than 10x. fermented foods are a better preventative, IME. :)
  19. jasper383

If you have had the flu, the actual influenza that causes the flu, anywhere near ten times, you would be first in line to get the shot every year.
  20. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

There are two EXCELLENT reasons to get flu shots:

1) It considerably reduces your chances of getting the flu.

2) It considerably reduces your chances of spreading the flu to others - which is also your responsibility.

If you work in the same building I do, be a grown-up and get your damn flu shot.
  21. Mike M.

Mike M.

In all honesy I can't remember when I last had a flu shot. But I remember the last time I had the flu...October of 2009 when I was laid off. The fever and intense chills came and left in about 3 days but for the next 8 or 9 days I felt like I had the crap beaten out of me. Never had a flu that beat me up as bad as that one did.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.