1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

To: Geddy, if somehow you could read this

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Presto2112, Apr 28, 2012.

1. Presto2112

Presto2112

Hello Geddy,

I don't want to disclose my name or anything on here but if you remember that kid in 2008 who called you and Alex on rockline. This is him. That call meant the world to me. You've been the person I've tried to follow ever since I saw a dvd of you playing when I was 6 years old 11 years ago. I was going to take up guitar, tried saxophone, hated it hahaha. Then either in 2007 or 2008 I started taking bass lessons. You've changed my life and I wouldn't be the person I am today if it wasn't for you and Rush. I wouldn't have discovered the amazing part of music and that it isn't just sound we hear. If I could just talk to you again or learn something from you that would be the greatest thing ever. My dream, is to play a song with rush. Alot of people would want an autograph or something like that but in addition to a song, just spend the day and talk bass. Just be friends or something. Sure, this sound far fetched and you'll probably never see this but just in case. Thank you.

(Talk bass people, I would really appreciate if this post didn't get this will never happen you're fantasies are too great and all of that, I've been trying my best over the years, contacting rush management and everything and nothing, for an adolescent teen, and to anyone for that matter, it would just be the best thing ever)

2. DigitalMan

DigitalMan

Geddy, this kid has the same dream I had about 30 years ago. If my place in line comes up first I will gladly defer my spot to Presto2112. The world needs more kids with great dreams.

3. Presto2112

Presto2112

it just sucks when I ask people do you like rush their response "who's rush?" This generation is full of suckish music, it's not even music it's just noise with some sort of beat. And Digitalman, if the chance came up for you to have this dream, you should take it way more than me, sounds like you've been a rush fan since the beginning, you've waited long enough, it would be amazing for you to have this chance.

4. madbassplaya

madbassplaya Supporting Member

I was already playing bass before I really knew who Geddy Lee/Rush was. When I started getting into their stuff it was like my instrument took on a new identity.

Love Geddy and I love RUSH!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. BlountEdge

BlountEdge I play (mostly) jazz basses Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Former contributing journalist for Bassics Magazine
    Awesome post, Presto! Keep dreaming, Dude.

DigitalMan, you're a gentleman, a scholar and a fine judge of women and wine! In other words.....very cool!

7. Presto2112

Presto2112

I just really need to get to meet him and just spend time with them, soon they'll stop touring and I'll miss my chance:( talking to them was cool but it was just a question about John Rutsey, he did say bless my heart for being 11 and that was pretty cool.

8. Presto2112

Presto2112

I would give anything to meet Geddy.

9. Presto2112

Presto2112

Or if you could leave your trans red flame maple jazz bass to me that could work too:D

10. Presto2112

Presto2112

I would rather have one of Geddy's basses than a 1960 all original stack knob jazz bass.

11. Mitchinboxer

Mitchinboxer

I am not really a Geddy Lee or Rush fan myself, but I absolutely respect your love for his music. Good luck trying to meet him, I wish I had a chance to meet my personal hero John Entwhistle before he passed away.

12. iridiumrocks

iridiumrocks

Geddy is the reason that I started playing bass too, but that was way back in the 70's. :D In the interviews I have seen with all of them, they are very humble and sometimes struggle with their fame and the effect that their music has on people. That's one of the reasons I have always admired them. They are very down-to-earth with no egos in spite of the huge footprint they have made on their genre of music. If I ever got a chance to meet him, I wouldn't even know what to say. Where would you begin?

13. Presto2112

Presto2112

There's no other bass player like him. And from interviews and stuff, he's a great guy, not too stuck up from fame or anything, just a normal, goofy, guy.

14. mmbongo

mmbongo Chicken Pot Pie. My three favorite things!! Supporting Member

Geddy is why I play bass to this day. I saw The Big Money on MTV when I was 14 and it was on from there!

Oh...hey Geddy....throw away that clangy Jazz bass and bring back the Wal Bass!

15. Presto2112

Presto2112

I do love his jazz tones but youre right he needs to bring back these basses:
    1.Rickenbacker 4080
    2. Wal Mk1
    3. Rickenbacker 4001

16. Presto2112

Presto2112

I want a wal sooooooooooooooooooooo bad.

17. nickbass5

nickbass5 Supporting Member

I feel you man... Geddy was my first big influence. I first dicovered Rush in 76' when 2112 came out. Saved up my money from my little 2.50 and hour newspaper job and got a black Rick and everything. (Which was $575 for a brand new Rick back in that day) I was 11 then and been playing bass for a couple of years. I used to lock myself in my bedroom with those records and learn the albums start to finish, lick for lick. Rush has definitely been a major positive influence on me as a musician and a person throughout my life. Recently saw them here in Austin, man those guy sound just as good as ever. I would love to meet Geddy one day. I have much appreciation and respect for those guys. I hope they realize how much they have inspired and influenced people over the years with the complexity of their music and the depth of the lyrical content. Its ashame kids coming up today don't have much of that...

18. Presto2112

Presto2112

Why must all of the awesome people like you guys be a generation away?:\

19. Presto2112

Presto2112

If anyone has connections with people who have connections, PLEASE let me know.

20. Crabby

Crabby

I saw Rush in 85 as a kid during the Power Windows tour. It was life changing! Been a huge fan ever since. Meeting you heros sure would be cool but just having been able to experience their music over the years makes us lucky to have enjoyed the ride.

21. ModuMan

ModuMan How many is too many? Supporting Member

I think a lot of us feel (or felt) the same way you do! I got a postcard from Neil in response to some questions I sent in, back when he used to do that sort of thing. It blew me away. I also had one of my questions answered by Neil in the Rush Backstage Club newsletter, if anyone remembers that.

Geddy and Alex do a fair amount of "meet and greets" before shows, you may very well get your chance.