1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

To get a J bass to sound like a MM?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Direct Box Rox, Jan 3, 2013.

1. Direct Box Rox

Direct Box Rox

Anyone have an opinion on what type of pu's would make a jazz bass sound close to a MM Sterling?

Somebody once said that the Delano's with the giant pole pieces would do the trick.

PS I'm not interested in your response if you live in NC.

2. testing1two

testing1two Gold Supporting Member

Have you considered routing the bridge position for a MM or twinjazz pickup? If you're planning to swap out both pickups and add a preamp then the additional cost to route the cavity would seem negligible.

There are several jazz pickups (including Delanos, Aero Type 4a, SGD Neo Jazzbuckers, Joe Barden J's, DiMarzio Ultra Jazz, etc.) that definitely deliver a bigger, more modern sound and certainly a 2-band preamp would add to the Sterling-style excitement, but nothing is going to transform a jazz sized pickup into an MM pickup IMO.

That's not to say you wouldn't be happy with any of the suggestions above, but it's going to be a gamble based on how the pickups/preamp work together in your particular instrument and whether they deliver what your ears want to hear. The SGD's do have the advantage of being a true humbucker which means you can wire them series or parallel (or add a switch) depending on what sound you like.

On another note, what's your objection to TB members from NC all about? Never mind, let's stay on topic.

3. TomCHunley

TomCHunley

Disclosures:
    I practice a lot but still suck.
    If you're after that MM Sterling sound, you could always trade your Jazz bass for a Sterling. :)

4. maturanesa

maturanesa

Setting up your jazz bass in a way that the bridge pup sounds louder than the neck pup, with both pups on full you get closer to a MM sound...

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Direct Box Rox

Direct Box Rox

Thanks for the ideas & feedback, I appreciate it. I'm sure the Delano pickups will sound much different than the current Duncan Designed pickups.

7. iunno

iunno

I find Jazzes sound similar to a Stingray with the neck at about 30% volume and the bridge at 100%.

8. Lowactnsatsfctn

Lowactnsatsfctn

Why would any one trade their Sterling for a jazz bass?:D

9. Red_Merkin

Red_Merkin

Well, to upgrade of course! :D

10. Woofer

Woofer

I know exactly how to do it, but I guess since I live in NC I'm not allowed to tell. Too bad.

11. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

What's this part about?

12. hdracer

hdracer Supporting Member

Sell your Jazz to someone in NC and buy a MM

13. scubaduba

scubaduba Supporting Member

14. Epitaph04

Epitaph04 EBMM Nut Supporting Member

Damn! :smug:

15. LanEvo

LanEvo Supporting Member

Do a google search on the Jazz Bass "S1 mod" (or "Series-Parallel Swtch"). When you have both pickups at full volume and connected in series, they act as a giant humbucker. Doesn't sound exactly like a humbucker, but it's a little closer than a pair of J pickups wired in parallel. Careful EQ will get you the rest of the way there.

16. RaginRog

RaginRog Last guy you want to see is Employee Relations guy Supporting Member

It will never happen...instead of spending all that money on pickups, just buy a new SUB Sterling for $249, and you have your jazz and sterling.

17. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned

Disclosures:
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    Except... Musicman pickups are wired in parallel. And since each coil is about 4k, compared to a Jazz which is about 7k to 8k, the Musicman reads 2k in parallel. Two Jazz pickups in series would be 14k+ and have a much darker tone.

18. RaginRog

Damn video link didn't work....works below. He reviews both the sub stingray and sub sterling. Having owned both of the USA made versions, I couldn't believe how good the sub models played and sounded when I tried them out last week.

19. VinKreepo

VinKreepo

Yeah, it's an NC secret, but I live here, too, so.......

20. RaginRog

Check out this video on YouTube: