1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

To get the Marcus Miller sound why does one pay so much for a Fender style bass...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MSIMSBASS, Oct 27, 2012.

1. MSIMSBASS

MSIMSBASS

Just wondering why one would pay 3,4,5 thousand dollars for a fender styled bass, when you can get a nice fender ans maybe put a preamp in.

2. Duckwater

Duckwater

Because they want to. I would buy the most ridiculous overpriced basses in the world if I had the money to do so.

3. RoeyHaviv

RoeyHaviv

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Vigier guitars, Pigtronix Effects
    To get the Marcus Miller sound take more then a bass and/or any piece of hardware :)

You can get a MM type sound out of most basses with the right technique and an EQ (Scooping out mids).
    A hard maple fingerboard will help bring out those highs too.

My 2 cents.

4. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

The 4 string Marcus signature is $999. But it all comes down to preference.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. conqr

conqr

A bucketload are in the ballpark, but that particular Jazz tone 'color' is not all THAT common. It's unique to MM sig basses and a few similar active single coil Jazz types - - to my ear anyway.

7. StyleOverShow

StyleOverShow Supporting Member

Agree....for those that think you can go fast and look cool in a Chevy Corvette, then you are off to the local dealership. For those that like speed, style, and perhaps a little more control over your vehicle than the 'vette offers you try out other cars.

Not taking anything away from MM or Wooten for that matter. They have an identifiable sound and style. You should have your own!

8. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

I think it's more than just an overhyped Fender. I own a MM and a Sadowsky among others and each is different. For a long time, I didn't believe the "clones" we're worth it until I played one. Same can be said within the Fender line itself. The custom classic line and some of their other high end instruments are definitely better than the standard issue.

9. nukes_da_bass

nukes_da_bass Banned

Fingers and thumb.

His regular axe is a vintage 70s jazz right? In the hands of the wrong player, a 70s jazz can sound awful.

I'm willing to bet, Marcus would sound like Marcus on a CCB with single
    Coils (cheap Chinese bass).

Anyone sound just like Jeff Beck on. Strat played without a plectrum?

Hands.

10. conqr

conqr

I distinguish between 'tone' and 'sound'. The former is just metal, electronics and wood, the latter is that but even more so a player's style, feel, favorite note choices/phraseology and a lot of other factors that make up their 'sound'. Hence the reason an artist always sounds 'like themselves' no matter the instrument.

The OP seems to imply the former, and with the right combination of guitar and preamp, you can get that MM sig tone. Fingers can't alter the basic tonal character of a particular combination of electronics and wood.

11. Tonegasm

Tonegasm Supporting Member

Yes.

12. datsaxguy

datsaxguy Supporting Member

On a 4 string there are alot of nice fender basses out there. The B string on most of their 5vers is my issue. Sad part is many of the boutique basses B string isn't all that great either.

U can get that Marcus tone on an inexpensive Fender bass, but for me I can't get some of those other things that are deal breakers. The tight B is usually the culprit.