To leave or not to leave?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Pills Are Yummy, Dec 22, 2012.

1. Pills Are Yummy

Pills Are Yummy

Really not enjoying my new band. However, the only reason I haven't left yet is A:their high success rate
    And B: I have no place else to go. You'd be surprised at the number of people who would rather sit and play Metallica covers alone in their bedroom. Impossible forming a new band.
  2. kjpollo

kjpollo

Kinda need a little more info about WHY you're not happy in the band.
    What's causing the stress? Band personalities? Money? Material?
  3. bluewine

bluewine

Yeah, I really don't understand the post.

Blue
  4. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Yeah to avoid this kind of drama.
  5. skychief

skychief Gold Supporting Member

Your dilemma has a perfect analog in the professional (non-music) world. Sometimes we find ourselves in a job where the pay is good, but we dont really enjoy making widgets, and dont really care for our co-workers.

So we ask ourselves "should I quit my current job and risk being unemployed for a while, or just bite my lip and continue in this grind im in?"

Only you can really decide this. You have a much better perspective of your current situation that we do. All our combined advice and 2 bucks will get you a coffee at Starbucks.

I think thats what kjpollo what alluding to.
  6. refbassist

refbassist

I'd rather be in a crappy band that gigs alot than be in a no band at all,it has it's down side as well but it all goes back to you and what reasons you have.
  7. SactoBass

SactoBass There are some who call me.......Sactobass Supporting Member

If you have yourself convinced that it is indeed impossible, then you have two choices: stay in the existing band, or don't be in a band at all. Nobody here on TB can tell you which to choose. It's your call.

Since you posted on TB asking for input, here's mine: you might want to reconsider that word "impossible."

Take care, and best of luck to you whichever route you choose.
  8. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya

I wouldn't. It's embarrassing to be on stage when you're playing with a crappy band.
  9. pklima

pklima

If they're having a lot of success, then at least they have to have it together to some degree, right?

It's hard to say much more without knowing why you don't like this band, but my advice would probably be stick around while looking for another band.
  10. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye

If the band is doing well, you don't hate the other players and the music doesn't make you sick, you may as well stay if you don't have anything else going. At a minimum the gig money will come in handy right?
  11. Johnny Crab

Johnny Crab ACME,QSC,Fame/Hondo/Greco user & BOSE Abuser Gold Supporting Member

I suspect Rush's original drummer probably had the same thoughts and so he left.
  12. ChrisB2

ChrisB2 Bass... in your fass Supporting Member

Don't leave.

The job analogy is pretty true except that with a job there is normally a lot of weight surrounding the question of whether to stay or not, whereas with a band it's usually a much less serious decision.
  13. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Supporting Member

First rule of wing walking:

Do not let go of one thing until you have a firm grasp on another.

Good advice for lots of situations.

[​IMG]
  14. refbassist

refbassist

Agreed but they won't be so embarrassing if they gig much,i didn't mean crappy as in drummer who can't count.
  15. 1958Bassman

1958Bassman

What? He was diabetic and sick.
  16. QORC

QORC

Also left due to "musical differences". His health wasn't that bad back then. In fact, in later years, he got into body building in a real major way. I think in the "Limelight" documentary, Alex opines that Rutsey left because he really didn't want to go on their first big tour. The Rush wiki page said he had a "distaste for touring." And another page said that he definitely had "different ideas about the musical direction" of Rush compared to Alex and Geddy.
  17. MarkMgibson

MarkMgibson

Perhaps he simply had good taste.
  18. vlado

vlado

I'm always up for a clean cut. Do your own thing, write songs, something will come up, better then being unhappy and not doing anything about it.
  19. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender and Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    I disagree. If the OP is unhappy, he should leave. Nothing good will come from staying with a band that he doesn't enjoy playing with. If he leaves, he can focus in what he wants to do without worrying about the current band. I've been in bands where I wasn't happy and it takes all the fun out of playing.
  20. bluewine

bluewine

There seems to be this notion that everybody can write songs in this forum?

Blue