1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

To maple top or not

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Whil57, Dec 22, 2013.

1. Whil57

Whil57

Hey all, was wondering if anyone was using a mahogony body with maple top? I was looking to put something together that would be kinda flatish? sounding. The thing is from what i see, mahogony can sound great, but not really set up for dye finishing as the maples tend to be. So would the maple top brighten it to much, or does it balance out. Lets say i will use it primarily for blues,classic rock,and maybe jazz, but no slapping or funk. All my basses have jazz pups, but the other day my friend came by with an Ibanez that had a split coil on the neck, it sounded really boomy and punchy. Is that typical of hte split versus the jazz? Thanks for any input.

2. Son of Bovril

Son of Bovril

maple top on mahogany body is common among custom basses as like you said the mahogany is a great tone wood but not very pretty...

I have a Pavel Aryel with mahogany center and maple front and back. sounds great to me...