1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

To much delay?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Spatial, Dec 6, 2012.

1. Spatial

Spatial

So our bands guitarist who is also my roomate and longtime friend, each decided that for christmas this year, we were going to get each other the delay pedals we want for out pedalboards. I wanted and got a boss DD-7 and love it. Our guitarist wanted a Boss RE-20, so that it was a fair exchange, we agreed I would give him the equal amount of cash he paid for mine and then he would pay for the rest of the pedal. Well I gave him cash to do this, and 2 nights later, and a few drinks in we decided it would be a good idea to scour ebay for his pedal. Found 2 that were in great shape and at a decent price, and he made an offer on both for 165 dollars, unknowingly that by making an offer he bought them. The next morning he checks ebay and discovers he is now the owner of two pedal versions of the roland space echo. Anyway I'm also selling him one of my old acoustic guitars(a gift for his younger sister), and he offered that instead of cash(the value is about the same) he would give me his 2nd RE-20 to use. Now I love my DD-7, the last few band practices I've been using it, the parts Ide wanted to put delay over, sounded amazing and using it when we jam has been great. We have ALOT of really spaced out parts and I can't help but think on one hand: the stuff I could do with both delays would be amazing. On the other, my pedalboard is already really full, and I can't help but think that it might be too much to have 2 delay pedals. Plus the space out parts we have are not just both of us going crazy with our pedals, we have actual riffs and arrangements we play. Any input as to what I should do? Sorry I know it's alot but this story is ridiculous, and I'm at a loss as to wheather or not I should accept the pedal?
  2. caeman

caeman The Root Master Supporting Member

Accept the pedal. Then put it up for trade of a donation to a local food bank.
  3. Spatial

Spatial

mmmmmmmm, interesting solution. Would not be opposed to doing that.
  4. Ron Now

Ron Now Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fuzzrocious Pedals, Blackout Effectors
    Never can have enough delay. Running delay into delay is one of my favorite things to do.
  5. Spatial

Spatial

How so? I imagine it provides an interesting effect and would be cool to add texture or layer to a song but I'm worried it might not allow what I'm playing to be as clear as I want it to be? Have you ever encountered that? Or am I just overthinking this?

BTW i see you play in bongripper, your band is sick. Got the Great Barrier Reefer and Hate Ashbury on LP, 2 of my favorite records in my vinyl bin
  6. Ron Now

Ron Now Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fuzzrocious Pedals, Blackout Effectors
    Setting them at different delay times (and settings if you have the options) can lead to all sorts of huge walls of sound. Pretty much every post rock band in existence does this. Clarity can be an issue but running them together leads to a tone all it's own so clarity of single notes isn't exactly the point of it.

Also thanks, for the kind words about Bongripper (I used a lot of delay on hippie killer, and a fair amount in areas of hate ashbury, TGBR, and SWD). In fact both our guitarists usually use multiple delays and reverbs. I'm currently down to 1 delay, but I was thinking of adding a reverb back on my board.
  7. Spatial

Spatial

Ok cool. I'm already running a moogerfooger phaser behind my delay which kind of already allows me to get these huge swells and swirls when they are put together(especially on the high freq setting, gives a it this "breathing wall" effect). One of them arrives in the mail within next few days, so Ill try it out while he is at work and see if it works within what we have written already, and have some fun playing around with it too :D. I figured most post-rock bands used delay, just not THAT much delay hahaha.

Reverb would probably sound sick added to your tone from what it sounded like on SWD. I've found that the DD-7 actually can double somewhat as a reverb pedal with the effect level on max, and the delay time knocked back a bit and the longer the delay time setting set to, more reverb it gives(just my 2 cents as a recomendation).
  8. Spatial

Spatial

So I finally got to try the RE-20 with my current pedal chain. Sounded cool, and I was able to get some really unique sounds with it, especially when It went into self oscillation. However the seller finally responded and canceled the order for him, plus I'm pretty happy with what I've already got, so I won't be adding another delay to my board yet. Plus with the cash I'm getting for selling the acoustic, I can start saving towards another delay later.
    :) Thank you guys for putting up with my long winded story.