1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is still pending approval by Apple. If you haven't yet, try using your mobile browser - TalkBass is responsive to any screen size.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

To Relic or not to Relic...That is the Question!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Quadzilla, Dec 17, 2013.

1. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

So I have a new 2013 Fender American P Special in CAR that I just love. Only thing that bugs me a little about her is that I want her to be a dirty girl! :hyper: :smug: ;)

I think that she would look even better beat up a bit! :eek:

So relic or not relic?

If so, any suggestions on who to use? I recall that a couple of TBers used to to it on the side. I just can't remember who they are. :confused:

I've never had an instrument reliced before and never even considered it. For some weird reason, I have the itch to do it with this particular bass????

Here she is in her current state:

[​IMG]
  2. kohntarkosz

kohntarkosz

3. Floridabwoy

Floridabwoy Supporting Member

4. divetone

divetone

Play it every day for 25yrs and you'll start to get the look you want.
  5. ASATMAN

ASATMAN Supporting Member

If it has a nitro finish, I say have at it. If a poly finish just play it.
  6. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

I believe the new American Specials are poly, but not certain.

I've never had an instrument reliced before and never even considered it. For some weird reason, I have the itch to do it with this particular bass? :confused:
  7. ASATMAN

ASATMAN Supporting Member

Nitro finishes just look much more natural than poly when distressed. Btw, I love a "broke in" feel.
  8. Artobass

Artobass

IMO ....There is only one real way to relic an insturment. Play it, play it and play it some more. Like divetone said after 25 years you'll start to get the look you want. That is a beautiful insturment by the way.
  9. Mark Nye

Mark Nye

+1.

Joining an old-school punk band may accelerate the process. YMMV.
  10. lz4005

lz4005

Absolutely just play it. Play it hard. Sweat on it. Don't wipe it down after. Don't baby it. Lean it up against your amp at gigs instead of using a stand. Wear big belt buckles and metal jewelry when you use it. Let it happen naturally.
  11. bachlover

bachlover Supporting Member

+1
  12. Marko5657

Marko5657 Supporting Member

13. allanhearn

allanhearn

14. Fat Steve

Fat Steve The poodle bites, the poodle chews it. Supporting Member

Just throw the thing in the back of a pickup truck for a few months. Go drive through the desert or across the country with it back there through wind and dirt, rain or shine, sleet or snow. Use it as a weapon. Disassemble it and leave it on the porch throughout the winter. You may have a nice relic by summertime ;)
  15. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member

Hacking up an instrument to make it look like you have paid dues that you haven't is a little disingenuous; don't you think?

Do a bunch of gigging with it. The rest works itself out. My <2c
  16. Slough Feg Bass

Slough Feg Bass

play it a lot, don't put it in a case.
    Smoke a lot of cigarettes with it.
    jam with people who are wasted and smoke a lot & drink a lot.
    go to Nashville for a summer with no case and just your bass.
    take it camping.
    lean it against the wall.
    play it at the beach when it is windy.
    put it in the trunk with your skateboards on the way to the skatepark
    wear a spike wristband when you play.
    cut some lines on it
    jump around a lot
    send it off to the circus for a tour
  17. DwaynieAD

DwaynieAD

I like her as is, but some wear and tear on the forum contour always looks good to me
  18. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

I would never do that to a new MIA. If I was interested in relicing a bass I would find and buy a used MIA, MIM or good Squier with some wear on her and add a little to it.

I did this with a late 80's MIK P bass. It had allot of wear and tear already and I just added a little to it. I re- did the neck my attempt of a Fender roadworn.

I'm happy to say it feels and plays like any 70's vintage P bass I played or owned. Relicing is a required taste and most go overboard when doing it. Leave that bass alone..find something used to relic.
  19. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative Supporting Member

I like well relic'd instuments (atificial and natural) but if I had a bass I liked as is I don't think I could bring myself to alter it; you may find out you don't like it as much after the fact. I'd see if someone has a Road Worn they'd be willing to trade, that way you'd get a good bass and the relicing is original to the bass.
  20. P Town

P Town Guest

I have never seen a relic'd bass that did not look like a poorly executed replica of an old instrument. Reminds my of the Squier/Fender decal thing. It's your bass,to do what you want with, but I think you would reduce its value considerably if you were to artificially age it.