1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

To the Peavey guru´s : Peavey GV or Cirrus?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Kvist1, Aug 15, 2013.

1. Kvist1

Kvist1

Hi all!

Looking for some good advice here:

In recent years, i have got a passion for graphite necked basses. Last year i acquired a Status Matrix and a Peavey G-bass (both 4-strings). I absolutely love both. But, my current band situation calls for a 5-string (cover band, playing everything from Creedence to Ac/Dc, blues, funk etc).
    My initial plan with my new basses was to have the Status stringed regularly E-G, and the Peavey stringed B-E-A-D (because of the 35" scale).
    But, we are starting to get alot of jobs, and for the simplicity i might just get myself a fiver to skip all the switching of basses on stage.
    Because of my experience with my Peavey, i have falled completely in love with both sound and the look and balance of this bass. So, in my fiver search, i have narrowed it down to either a Cirrus or a GV (because of the graphite neck).

To me, the specs on both looks pretty similar: 35" scale, pickups and preamp being the same on both etc. So, which one do you recommend? Is the Cirrus more versatile than the GV? Do they have the same string spacing? Are the width at the nut the same? You know, all those questions.
    Please, list all the pros and cons of each ;)

Regards,
    Sigurd

2. StuartV

StuartV Out of GAS!! Supporting Member

I've had both. Based on what you stated, I would recommend for you to get a Peavey B Quad 5. The BQ5 neck is graphite and actually made by Modulus for Peavey. There are rumors that the GV neck was also made by Modulus but I've never seen confirmation of that. And when you look at the back of the necks, the G and GV necks do not look like other Modulus necks, but the B Quad 4 and 5 necks DO look like a Modulus neck.

The B Quad has the same type of pickups as the GV and Cirrus, but it also has piezo pickups in the bridge saddles. The B Quad has a 2-band EQ for the VFL pickups and a passive Tone control for the piezos.

When I had my GV and my Cirrus 5, I upgraded both of them to the Peavey Custom Shop preamp (aka the Millennium preamp). This changes the Mid boost/cut pot to a stacked pot that adds Mid frequency sweep. I.e. you can dial the frequency center of the Mid boost/cut from 200Hz to 2000Hz. I found that this was a worthy upgrade on the Cirrus and even more worthy on the GV. Unfortunately, the word is that Peavey has now sold out of all stock of those preamps, so you'd have to look for a bass that already has that preamp or find a used one for sale or buy a used U.S. Millennium and swap the preamps.

In the end, if I were just picking between a GV and a Cirrus, I would pick the Cirrus because I really prefer the neck. It has that "bare wood" feel that I really like. The GV neck has a really nice profile, but it's not the same as the Cirrus profile - and it has that "sticky" feel to it similar to, but not as bad as, a normal glossy painted neck.

Also, I think the Cirrus has a slightly (but only VERY slightly) better tone. I don't know if that's because of the graphite neck versus wood, the neck-thru versus bolt-on, or the body wood difference. Though I do think the G Bass was basswood body and the GV is actually alder?

The only other comment I can add from my experience is that I found the GV slightly nicer to play ergonomically. The position of the strap buttons relative to the 12th fret is different between the 2. The Cirrus upper button is around the 13th or 14th fret. The GV is closer to the 12th fret. The result is that the Cirrus hands with the neck about an inch further to the player's left, so it's a slightly longer reach to the first fret.

All in all, if I were choosing between getting another GV or getting another Cirrus 5, I would probably prefer the Cirrus, for the neck feel and tone. But, when you factor in that GVs usually sell for much less money than a Cirrus, price and the actual colors of the 2 basses would also be a factor for me that would result in it being a toss-up until I was looking at 2 specific basses, each with a price, and choosing between them.

I don't think you'd be unhappy with either.

But a B Quad 5 would be even better....

Oh! And look! .... ;-)

3. FourBanger

FourBanger

4. StuartV

One last thing to add, even though the GV neck is graphite and the Cirrus is wood, I would not at all expect a GV to be more stable or give better action than a Cirrus. Cirrus necks are THE SHIZ. Totally stable and consistently give the ability to give as good, clean, low action as any bass I've ever seen.

You may prefer the look, feel, or profile of one neck over the other. I'm just saying stability and action are not a reason to prefer the GV graphite neck over a Cirrus neck. They are equal, on that, in my opinion.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. GeoffByrne

GeoffByrne

Best neck I ever played was a Cirrus.

G.

7. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

Although StuartV has given some pretty excellent advice, a B-Quad 5 will be very hard to find. The B-Quad 4's are scare to begin with, but a 5'er is rarer still.

Given the choice between a GV and a Cirrus, I'd go Cirrus. The Cirrus is an absolutely outstanding bass, and can be had for a fraction of the cost of an equivalent instrument.

8. funkytoe

funkytoe Supporting Member

I've owned a couple of G basses and have played both the Cirrus and the B-Quad fivers. All were seriously nice basses, with great tone and playability.

The distinguishing factors in my mind are appearance and price point. The BQuad is hard to find (especially the Brian Bromberg models) and have been creeping up in price. The Cirrus has the classic looking wood finish and really feels and looks like a custom shop bass. The G Bass - lets face it - is not pretty. Holoflake black, white or green does not scream "boutique" bass to anyone.

Having said that, you can still find great condition GV basses in the $300-$400 range, which is a screaming deal for a 35-inch scale graphite neck bass. Cirrus basses tend to cost about twice that on the used market and BQuads get into four figures.

So, although its not the best appearance-wise, I think the G bass is the clear winner from a price standpoint. Hands down best bang for the buck.

9. StuartV

What B Quad is NOT a Brian Bromberg model?

10. backin82

backin82 Jack of a Few Trades Supporting Member

I'll second (or third) the neck/action sentiments. The Cirrus necks are sweet!

11. Kvist1

Kvist1

Sorry for the late reply, been a lot at work lately :)!

Thank you guys!
    StuartV : I had no idea that the B Quad 5 existed. Looks like an awesome bass, especially the one you have for sale :bassist:
    But i forgot to mention in the first post (stupid of me) that my budget is around a 1000$. Might stretch to 1100-1200 but thats the absolute maximum. So your excellent bass is out of reach i´m afraid :crying:

I think i have settled on the Cirrus after reading alot about it lately. It looks like it will fit my bill perfectly, and is more common than the GV? ( It looks like this to me anyway)
    It also seems like the Usa-made necktrough is the one i want, after reading all the stunning reviews about it, and learning about the adjustable string spacing on the bridge.
    But if the bolt-on is a better bass in your opinion, tell me why :)

I must also add: I live in Norway, so used Peavey´s are pretty scarce and few between. I have never seen a GV for sale, and a Cirrus is coming around maybe once a year or something. When i was looking for a G-Bass, i eventually found one after months of looking in Sweden!
    So i must look in the Us of A to import one. There a few for sale regularly (on eBay at least), so here are the multi-million dollar question: Which one to get? Seeing all the different wood combination available, it´s quite confusing to me.. We are playing a few "slap-style" songs this days, with more coming later, so is there a particular model which fit this bill better than another?

I´m sorry for all this questions and "noobiness", but we all learn something new everyday, aren´t we? ;)

12. BassDudeSA

BassDudeSA Supporting Member

I've got five 5-string basses, and three of them are US Peaveys (other two being a Carvin and a Fender copy). I have owned maybe 50 fivers over the years and have settled on these three Peaveys as my favorites of all of them. I own a Cirrus in tiger's eye (upgraded from other Cirrus models), a Millennium in tigers eye and a black holoflake GV. Someone mentioned that the GV is not that attractive, but after using all three of these basses, the GV gets the most compliments for looks by far. I think it is beautiful. If flashy is not your thing then this finish is not for you. The GVs are the hardest to find but I bought mine in excellent condition, only showing a few blemishes for $500. I splurged on the Millennium Plus and overpaid spending $1,000 on a new old stock, but I just wanted that tigers eye finish with the maple board. Unbelievable deal on the Cirrus for a new demo model I found for $1,250.

As far as which I prefer? Geez, it is a toss up. That is like choosing which of three beautiful women you can pick from. They all sound wonderful, they all have a similar tone, not exact, but similar enough to where after tweaking an amp to your preference you'll get pretty much the same thing. The neck feels a bit different on each, but again it is subjective to each which you prefer. Here I've got a neck-through, bolt-on wood and a bolt-on graphite. Again, it is up to the individual player as to which is better for you.

What it all boils down to is price and availability, especially if you don't have a lot of these to choose from. Whenever a Cirrus or GV (and I'd try a Millennium too if you have the chance) is available for purchase, check it out, and if you like the bass and the price, then go for it. You can't go wrong with any of these three models!

13. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

I hadn't noticed that StuartV had a BQuad-5 for sale. :)

The Cirrus is MUCH more common than the GV. In fact, the GV is fairly uncommon.

If you live in Norway, and are going to import one of these from the US, then a neck-through bass is not an option. Shipping a neck through to Norway will cost around $400. This due to the fact that the box required to ship ti will exceed the limits set by the US Post Office.

So... if bolt on is an option, that leaves the US Cirrus bolt on. These basses are far less common than the neck-through Cirrus, but are still an excellent instrument. They have a Millennium preamp (rather than a Cirrus preamp), a "finger" style bridge, and usually run $100 lower in price than the neck through models. I've seen these sell regularly in the $500 range. A killer deal.

14. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

Here's a New Old Stock bolt-on Cirrus. Very unusual with black hardware. Price is a tad high, but they do encourage offers. And it is brand new.

Another Peavey you might want to consider is a Axcelerator 5. Very high quality, great sounding, and you can get them for a steal ($300 range).

[​IMG]

*Looks like that ^^ bass is for sale here on TB. He's looking for $300 - and that is a smoking deal for a guitar of that quality!!

15. BassDudeSA

BassDudeSA Supporting Member

Yeah, I'd love to find an Axcelerator-5 as well. There were a few purple ones on Ebay recently for about $400, I shoulda' grabbed one!

16. StuartV

Yeah, I didn't want to say any more about it because I didn't want my post to sound like a sales pitch. I really do think, based on the OP, that the best fit for his criteria is a B Quad 5, whether he buys mine or not.

USPS may not want to handle a neckthru bass package, but wouldn't FedEx or UPS do it? I just shipped a 120 pound, SVT VR in a road case from San Francisco to Santiago, Chile, via FedEx. For less than $300.

I've never seen a Cirrus BO in person. But, when they were still readily available new, they were selling (new) for a street price of $899. Street price on new Cirrus NT was around $1800. So, I would definitely expect a used Cirrus BO to cost way less than a used Cirrus NT.

17. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

I have a BQuad4 that looks exactly the same as yours, minus one string, of course. I thing the BQuad is one of the best basses ever produced by a major US manufacturer.

re. shipping - the USPS has a "length plus girth" formula. A standard bass in a case, boxed, will always exceed that formula. But - eliminate the case, separate the neck from the body, and you can ship a bass anywhere using Priority Mail. FedEx and UPS will ship a bass and case, but the charges to, say Norway, will be $399 as opposed to $99 using the Post Office.

I didn't know that the bolt-on Cirrus was half the list price of a NT Cirrus. That would have made the bolt-on one hell of a bargain.

18. spade2you

spade2you

I played a G and GV, but never owned one. It's very tough to beat the Cirrus neck at any price point.

19. NicJimBass

NicJimBass The Kirk Hammett of bass guitar! Supporting Member

I've been playing GV basses for about a year now, and I had a Cirrus 5 for a few days before flipping it, so I was able to A/B them. For my needs right now, the GV is it... LOADS of bottom end, and it feels and sounds great. When I had the Cirrus, I noticed what everyone else has said- the neck is amazing. I will absolutely own another one day, especially if the tone is right for whatever project I'm in. There was a feeling of quality with the Cirrus that I don't quite get with the GV... that's not a knock on the GV, but high praise of the Cirrus.... the GV is no slouch.

I believe I'm in the minority when it comes to the Millennium pre though. I think it sounds great in a Mill, but when I tried it in a GV, it underwhelmed me. The Cirrus pre is really good on it's own. YMMV.

20. funkytoe

funkytoe Supporting Member

To clarify: Brian Bromberg collaborated with Peavey to develop the B Quad series of basses. So, to some degree, all B Quads are Bromberg Models. But, most B Quad headstocks read: Peavey B Quad Crafted in the USA". I have seen just two B Quads that actually say "Peavey Brian Bromberg" on the headstock. One was actually offered to me as part of an endorsement deal. Those "signature" basses are rare as hens teeth and extremely hard to find.