Tobias basic on ebay

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fire-Starter, Jan 21, 2014.

1. Fire-Starter

Fire-Starter

What do you guys think honestly of the Bass and the price it is A tobias/Gibson era bass. Although it was built by Mikes crew before Gibson totally took over but I would like your opinion. And what are the two switches that I see on the Bass? is this an upgrade / modification? I also noticed it has a different bridge something like what you would see on a Peavy.

Please advise

http://m.ebay.com/itm?itemId=281177971936

2. Brams77

Brams77 Supporting Member

I think its not that great to be honest... It doesnt have the original preamp so it says ntmb they should have tct pres.. The bridge is a kahler bridge not something I think they used At That time, it was more likely it was a Wilkinson type bridge which isn't the best and prolly the reason there is a kahler on now... It looks pretty battered I think 2500 is very steep...

Ps I really am offended by that avatar of yours, Zidane is a very bad example for the sport soccer here in Europe and a very bad example for people who watch soccer, this was the last match he did as a renouwned multi minionaire international player and then doing something this childish immature and dumb for the whole world to see on a FIFA wordcup is really the lowest of standards I have ever seen.. Terrible day for sports!

3. UK Philip

UK Philip

france would have taken the cup that year, if he didn't react so aggressively to his mother being called a "terrorist wh**e"...

southern european teams play dirty and dive like fish - him reacting that way was just part of the plan.

anyway, OP: spend your money elsewhere.

4. MrLenny1

MrLenny1 Supporting Member

2 switches are not original IMO.
    Looks like a Growler model.
    $500 is a good price for a Tobias.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Fire-Starter

Fire-Starter

Thank you for your insight everyone I really appreciate it

7. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

I know, what a shameful display!! Next thing you know, soccer fans will be getting rowdy!

Back on track, there's a reason that Tobias has been sitting on ebay for 5 months.

8. cybersnyder

cybersnyder Always groove.... Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist: Xsonics cabinets
    $2500 is way high for that bass in that condition. Even in perfect condition, it's too much.

9. Fire-Starter

Fire-Starter

Agreed. I think here at Talkbass is my best bet.

10. Brams77

Getting rowdy? Each year there are people getting beaten stabed and shot to death in Europe Brazil and Russia cause of rivaling soccer fanclubs... Nothing to joke with I can tell you that much...

11. gregwatts2008

gregwatts2008 Supporting Member

That is a Basic 6......
    The value is subjective! Having owned several and still owning 2 pre-Gibson Tobias.........they are great sounding and the build quality is superb! I believe the seller invites offers......so if you like the bass, make an offer. It has been modified....so IMHO, it has no collector's value.....but may still be a great bass! $ 2500 is an optimistic price......as it is not original or in great condition.....but you can make an offer!

12. cybersnyder

Disclosures:
    I have a '93-ish Growler that I picked up recently for $599. Love it. Most comfortable bass I've ever played.

13. GM60466

GM60466

Check classified ads here first

14. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

I was being sarcastic. You're in a big huff about that soccer player head-butting some jerk from another team. Seems to me you should redirect your high dudgeon towards the fans.

15. cybersnyder

Disclosures:
    What's this "soccer" thing people are talking about?

16. UK Philip

UK Philip

because you are talking about a sport played in MORE THAN ONE COUNTRY, i understand why you lump them all together. it's fine - you're not used to it, i get it. ;)

but in europe it's a peaceful game with some of the best atmosphere around. here's 60,000 fans singing Just Can't Get Enough by Depech Mode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCAN_F-nPC8

this is one of the oldest rivalries in football, and both side's fans sing along at ear-splitting volume. music and football are so intertwined that i had to post this. give it a watch.

17. Brams77

Your missing the point here that is why someone would even think of using this Sad display as avatar... In my opinion you either don't know what the hell iTS about, and find it kinda funny, or you find sports violence kind of cool which I wont accept.
    Thats my opinion, if everyone else is cool about that, good for you, not standards I live by... but I surely have every right if I find it very disturbing seeing that around here.

18. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

Of course it is.

19. TigerInATrance

TigerInATrance

And I thought Philadelphia sports fans were bad news...

20. Fire-Starter

Fire-Starter

Are you serious? Never mind, you have went through great lenghts to show you are. I have seen a hell of a lot more offensive things here on TB then my avatar which has been up for a few years now. You are the first to complain. You have a right not to like someone slamming their forehead into someone else chest. I respect your right to it. If its sports violence you are concerned with maybe Football and or Hockey can be next on your list as well, God forbid MMA!!! I suspect people here may not take too well to you suggesting people put down their hockey sticks in the case of Hockey or start playing flag football in the NFL, which seems to heading that way anyhow, but back on topic. Thanks for sharing.

BTW: If people here really are bothered by it, I would take it down. Just saying.

21. cybersnyder

Disclosures:
    There's really nothing offensive about it.