1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Tobias Growler electronics question...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bass Kahuna, Oct 15, 2003.

1. Bass Kahuna

Bass Kahuna

Disclosures:
    Luthier, Custom Builder
    Hey all,

On the Tobias Growler basses, they have one big Bartolini pickup, two switches, two regular knobs/pots and two concentric knobs/pots.

Can anyone tell me what each of the switches andn pots controll?

Thanks!

:^)~
  2. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Ok..

1. Volume
    2. Balance (to pan between the 2 coil sets)
    3. Stacked bass/treble knob for the first set of coils
    4. Stacked bass/treble knob for the second set of coils
    5. 3-way switch for first set of coils
    6. 3-way switch for the second set of coils

I don't remember what each switch position does. All I remember is that the "down" position is dubbed as the "ultimate slap tone"

Hope that helps :)

*EDIT* Ok I think I just remembered. In the "down" position, its a "bassier" tone, like I said "ultimate slap tone", the "up" position is more trebly I'd say and the "middle" position I think is "neutral" meaning no difference.

But don't quote me on this :)
  3. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

4. Bass Kahuna

Bass Kahuna

Disclosures:
    Luthier, Custom Builder
    Hey Pilot & Tobias4,

Thanks for the info!

I had already found that page on the Gibson site when this bass came into my shop for a quick setup and fret dressing. The guy bought it used and didn't know what all the knobs and switches were for (he is a guitar player who recently switched to bass for his band...), and neither did I so I was looking to get the info for him.

5. fourstringdrums

Setup and fret dressing...sounds like what I had to do when I got my Growler last year. Hopefully his isn't a disaster like mine was.

Go on Harmony Central, the lousy review is mine *lol* Great tonal variety, I can say that though.
  6. Bass Kahuna

Bass Kahuna

Disclosures:
    Luthier, Custom Builder
    Nah, this one is pretty decent. It is the swamp ash version with the wenge fingerboard, exactly like the one in the pic on the Gibson page.

The neck has a bit more forward relief than what is optimal, but the frets are in really great shape overall. So I've just got to straighten out the neck, check the nut grooves and height, lightly shave and dress the frets, set the string action and intonation, and check over the electronics, as he gets a bunch of popping and snapping when he moves the input jack around, which goes away if he hangs the cord over the end of the strap. So just a loose connection there.

7. fourstringdrums

I had the same one on the page as well. Most of the frets needed to be leveled. The neck was just all screwed up. Even after a fret leveling, it still had major problems. And it wasn't warped either. It just wasn't very stable.

I traded it and some guy bought it a few months later. I lit a candle and said a prayer for him *lol* :)
  8. Bass Kahuna

Bass Kahuna

Disclosures:
    Luthier, Custom Builder
    Hopefully this one will be okay! I have heard others here and there mention that some Growlers had neck stability problems. Although you would think that with dual truss rods on a 4 string neck it would be okay.....

On that note, the stinkin' truss rod nuts are extremely hard to get to.... I've been to 3 local music stores/repair shops looking to find a tool that will get in there with no freakin' luck whatsoever. So, tonight I'm going to make one out of a 1/4" socket... SHEESH!

9. fourstringdrums

Stew Mac sells some socket wrenches that should fit in there well. Also Carvin sells them as well. Oh wait a minute, you should know that, you're a rabid Carvin fan if my memory serves me correctly :) I've hung around the Carvin board a bit. Would that wrench work or is it too big?

Yea they are a pain though. And I thought the same thing. You would think, with a 3 piece neck, and 2 truss rods it'd be stable. But as I put it in my review, it was like trying to balance a coconut and and SUV on a seesaw made of toothpicks :)
  10. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Supporting Member

i bought a 4 string growler a few years back and returned it the next day
    the electronics were the bomb but it didnt cut thru a band (prabably due to the light ash which was very mid shy
    if i remember correctly the middle position on the 2 switches was flat, one position was a bump in a certain bass and treble frequncy for a smiley slap tone, and the other position was a bump somewhere in the low mids for a jaco-ish tone
    i'd love to find out if i could get that pickup and electronics from gibson or bartolini so i could drop it in a good bass
    lots and lots of growlers had neck problems
  11. fourstringdrums

Bartolini still sell quad coil pickups I believe and you can just have it wired the same way as on the Growler.
  12. fourstringdrums

excuse my caveman talk there

Bartolini still sell quad pickup. Put in bass and have wire however want! :)
  13. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Supporting Member

cool
    i hope that nifty eq/preamp section is also still available
  14. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

I've never heard of Bartolini selling the dual EQ except to Gibson... but maybe they would. It would be cool. Or maybe its just two independent 2-band EQs and a blender?

Oh, wait a minute. I forgot about those two contours available on the switches. That sounds like something custom for Gibson, kind of like the "thunderguts" contour that Bart makes for Pedulla.
  15. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Bill B still makes that pre & pup's for Joe Zon. They are used in Zon's Studio series Sonus basses. I just had a custom Legacy built with these electronics, no disappointments here...

~S~
  16. Bass Kahuna

Bass Kahuna

Disclosures:
    Luthier, Custom Builder
    Well,

I was actually able to reach the truss rod nuts quite nicely with a small 1/4" open end wrench. The neck straightened up nicely, I lightly shaved down the top of the frets and redressed them. The nut didn't need any filing at all, the grooves are just the right depth. Now tonight if the neck is still where it should be I'll replace the strings and set the action and intonation.

I then have to replace the input jack. Thankfully I have one of those type of jacks laying around already, and a stereo one two, whew!

In working with this thing, it seems to me that the neck is very, VERY dry. It almost feels like bare wood that was never finished, but I'm assuming at one point it had a thin coat of tung oil or something similar on it. This could easily contribute to the neck not being stable. I have highly recommended to the owner that we get a few good coats of tung oil on the neck, and that seeing as the climate here is high desert with the humidity usually below 30% and often into the middle teen percentages, I've advised him that a new coat of tung oil and/or warwick wax should be put on it once a year.

All in all, it's not a bad little bass, but I find it to be about the same as the new Toby Pro's from Korea. Granted, the electronics on this one might be a bit "better", but the overall feel, fit and finish gives off a "$500-Guitar-Center-Mass-Produced" vibe.

The current Bartolini catalog shows the "MM" pickup as available, but only in a dual coil, not a quad coil.

17. fourstringdrums

I don't want to turn this into a Bart thread, but doesn't Bill also make a triple coil?
  18. Bass Kahuna

Bass Kahuna

Disclosures:
    Luthier, Custom Builder
  19. SMG

SMG Supporting Member

Tobias (USA Gibson made, at least) used a 1/4" truss rod wrench. These are the same as pre-Fender Guild instrumemts use. (I have no idea if Fender made Guilds use the same as they used to, or not...) You can get these from Stewart Macdonald Supply Shop.

Steve
  20. Basssy

Basssy Supporting Member

Hi everyone

Latecomer to this thread but I just picked up one of these off TB a few weeks ago and really like it. I checked the electronics cavity and was wondering if anyone had or knew where to find info on the four internal trimpots that are part of the electronics. I have looked everywhere and come up empty.

Thanks in advance