tobias growler - two questions

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by gricko, Jan 29, 2014.

1. gricko

gricko

1) would somebody take a look at these photos and say if that is an authentic growler.
    -
    [​IMG]
    -
    [​IMG]
    -
    [​IMG]
    -
    [​IMG]

serial # is in electronics compartment not on the back of the peg head. tuners are not usual grovers.
    is fishy or an early model thing.

and it is clear somebody changed switches and fiddled w/ electronics.... :(

2) is it just me or growler prices on TB classifieds jumped lately? up until mid last year they were selling for 5-600 but now offers do not go for much below 800.

2. Brams77

Brams77 Supporting Member

I'm not a growler expert but the double switches and 6 knob Bart preamp specially made for this bass do fit the bill for an early growler, I do believe iTS original, search on growlers on Tb there are Many who love them...
    The tuners are schaller and pre Nashville basses where also fitted with these... It could be it is original to be honest.. I don't see any screwholes Peeping alone the schaller tuners, grover tuners (what most are fitted with) have a different layout..

I think you might want to hold on to this, great basses indeed!

3. scubaduba

scubaduba Supporting Member

It all appears to be legitimate. My Growler tuners don't say Grover either. The black headstock was used on early models and the serial number fits in the time frame. The electronics appear normal with the dual rotary dials in the cavity per pick coil set. Very early Growlers had the chrome mid switches like this one before switching to the black switches with flat heads. From what I can see of the bridge it appears to be original. I think it's legit.

Yes old Growlers are getting higher priced. They are becoming more sought after, are quite unique in the market and are becoming more difficult to come by in good to excellent condition.

Get some new strings on there and then flip rear coil switch down, leave front switch in middle, turn rear coil bass all the way up, rear coil treble all the way off, and the front coils bass boosted slightly with treble neutral and pickup pan slightly forward. This should give a very tasty finger style punch with, well, nice "growl". Not the Fender Jazz growl but more of a purring lion growl. Tasty!

Enjoy!

4. gricko

gricko

thanx much for the information.

5. Register to disable this ad