Tobias Growler vs 2012 Cort A5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BTBBASSman, Dec 19, 2012.

1. BTBBASSman

BTBBASSman

hey quick question i have a chance to get a Tobias Growler 5 or a 2012 cort a5

i see on ebay and gc the Tobias goes for $600 to 700 used but the cort is $755 brand new i played them both the cort has growl clarity and punch very smooth and versatile sound the Tobias has a great sound also but kinda hard to dial in tones on the go and its kinda beat up the bass has definitely been played

so my question is resale value which bass will sell faster and for a good price?

2. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Supporting Member

If you buy the Cort, you are buying it to keep and play. Buy it because you LOVE it and it's for you. They aren't as easy to resell. The Tobias will be much easier to resell, if that is your motivation. As always, play what you like first. Basses are made to be played first, and resold second.

3. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    I've owned 2 corts. A cheapo (forgot the model) and a curbow. Both had neck issues, and I wasn't crazy about the tone on either. On the flip side, I've played Growlers in stores and always wanted one. Loved the feel of the neck. I've always held back though because many people complain that they sound thin.

Lotta help I've been, huh. :)

Actually, of the 2, my vote would go to the Growler.

4. darkstorm

darkstorm

If its a gibson tobias Id pass even if in great condition. Also the cort diff fits you better tone wise from what you said so its the obvious choice to pick imo.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. rodneyat

rodneyat Supporting Member

All Growlers are Gibson Tobias. Mike Tobias never made a Growler himself.

That said, if the Cort speaks to you more..then buy the Cort. If you are already having issues dialing in the tone you want with the Tobias. Then you probably will not be happy with it in the long term.

7. BTBBASSman

BTBBASSman

thanks for all the info my heart mind and soul is pushing towards the cort i think i might go for it...

8. pb9717

pb9717 Supporting Member

If I may....

Tobias' older Growlers (the ones with the toggle switches) have gobs of different sounds, and although made by gibson, the earliest ones were made when Mike was transitioning the line from LA to GIbsons Tennesee facility. So the quality is pretty great on the oldest of them. Ive owned 2 and the first one's neck went Kablooie, and I still sold it to guitar center for a good amount. That not withstanding, the older models are really great sounding, a far cry from the 5 knob models made today. And can be had for well under $800 and retain their value. They are light, fast and well balanced with that great asymetrical neck. When set up properly, they have fantastic playability akin to the original pre gibson Tobias'.and with a nice finish, can look like this......

[​IMG]

I cannot recommend them enough.

9. agreatheight

agreatheight

Concur.

10. hobbes1

hobbes1

I have a Gibson era Tobias Growler I bought about 15 years ago or so. It has the toggle switches (mid cut + bass/treble boost in down position, neutral in mid pos. and mid boost/bass cut in upper position), in the control cavity it has capability to adjust the Q and amount of mid boost/cut on the toggles. Concentric controls for Bass/Treble control of each side of the quad coil pup. This bass has tons of different sounds in it and there is NO SHORTAGE of low end. whoever said up above that they are thin sounding is mis-informed or...???
    This bass has been my #1 for many years and the smooth finished, asymmetrical neck feels like home every time I pick it up. This is a bass I highly recommend for the money.

11. hobbes1

hobbes1

Dude! that is one sweet finish on that bass! I love it!! :)

12. Rano Bass

Rano Bass

The Growler is a better bass and will have better resale value.
    Buy the Cort only if you love it and want to keep it.
    IMO of course.

13. 4StringsEnough

4StringsEnough

Personally I'd take the Cort all day long. Those Artisan basses play like butter.