1. Classifieds Rules, Usage Agreement, and FAQ

A Supporting membership is required to post items for sale in the classifieds

New posts to classifieds threads will only bump the thread once every 24 hours. Posts made before 24 hours since the last bump, will not bump the thread.

Tobias (pre-Gib) & MusicMan 25th Anniversary

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by scubaduba, Sep 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scubaduba

scubaduba Supporting Member

OK. Being totally honest this might be crazy and I might think better of it here soon. But I really have the itch for a MTD 535 or preferably a 534. Might be a long shot but I'm interested in trading both of these fine instruments for a MTD. I'd need extra cash in the deal since both of these basses combined would certainly be valued more than a used MTD.

First up is a beautiful pre-Gib fretless Tobias #644 made in 1987. All original and in fantastic condition. Just look at the pics. Other than a small ding at the very end of the headstock (see pic) the bass is very clean. Finish is great with no fading. Just normal swirling from cleaning. Really no buckle rash either. You'd have no idea this classic instrument was 25 years old. Original Bartolini pickups and Bartolini preamp. Maple body. All the superb balance and tone these things are known for. Bass is punchy and dynamic. Comes with original case which is structurally fine but does have some dings/scuffs here and there. A fine example of Mike Tobias' work. A piece of history. $2450 shipped CONUS.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next up is a fantastic limited run 25th Anniversary Music Man with tiger maple top. These things are absolute tone monsters with exceptional versatility. Controls are volume, passive tone control, high mids/low mids stack and treble/bass stack. The four buttons allow you to operate bass in passive mode, front pickup only or back pickup only or inner coils of both pickups. And then any of those combinations in parallel or series.

This beauty is in near mint condition. Really could pass as new. Looks stunning and sounds amazing. So many sounds from this thing. Here's Ed Friedland's review of the instrument:

Comes with original case in great condition. Case has one crack on the end that doesn't affect anything.
    [del]$1800 shipped CONUS.[/Del] SOLD

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So there you have it. Like I said, might be a long shot and/or I might change my mind on this. If you've got a quilt maple top, redwood top, or some sort of burl top MTD I'd be especially interested.

Thanks for looking.
  2. scubaduba

A few more pics of the Tobias.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  3. scubaduba

And a few more of the 25th Anniversary

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  4. Sliderbass

Sliderbass Dr. Bass, The best cabinet you'll NEVER own! Supporting Member

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. garmenteros

garmenteros Junkyard Scout Gold Supporting Member

If you're open to other stuff I have a custom mahogany 5 string les paul with LEDS I'm looking to trade.
  7. Dregg

Dregg

I want that Tobias so bad. Unfortunately (or fortunately rather) I already got a deal going on for another Tobias here. If it's still available in a few months from now and you're willing to ship it to Sweden, I might just wanna snag it.
  8. scubaduba

:bassist: Well we'll see. Thanks for the interest.
  9. jebmd

jebmd Supporting Member

10. winterburn69

winterburn69

What are those beautiful red strings?
  11. alzabass

alzabass Supporting Member

DR Red Devil's
  12. scubaduba

13. scubaduba

I might be open to other trades. Thanks for the offer but this is probably not what I'm looking for.
  14. jebmd

jebmd Supporting Member

15. scubaduba

OK folks. Musicman is gone. Now I'm motivated to sell the Tobias. Who's going to snag this magnificent piece? $2400 shipped CONUS.
  16. scubaduba

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.