Dismiss Notice

Welcome to TalkBass.com!

Register your free account to unlock features including:

• Post messages or start new discussions
  • Send private messages to other members
  • Upload images and video to our gallery
  • Enter free giveaways
  • Get rid of this notice, and much more :)

Tobias Toby Deluxe IV Upgrades

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by sebrodma, Feb 15, 2014.

1. Hi guys! I just bought this bass for around $100 and is really nice! Low profile, nice quality, but too much bright!!! I was thinking on some upgrades, like pickups, bridge and preamp... Do you think that is ok to go with an upgrade with this bass? What electronics you recommend me? Thanks!

2. nonohmic

nonohmic

Dec 13, 2005
    ABQ, NM.
    I also would like to know. C'mon guys....throw us a bone!!

I was thinking Bartolini pups and an Aguilar Preamp.. not sure how to reuse the knobs tho.

3. 4StringTheorist

4StringTheorist Supporting Member

Can you measure the pickups? That'll help folks here make suggestions.

Are you looking for a darker tone like the OP was?

4. rufus.K

rufus.K

Oct 18, 2015
    SoCal
    Grest bass, a steal of a price.
    Preamp first, no question.

5. Sponsored by:

6. nonohmic

nonohmic

Dec 13, 2005
    ABQ, NM.
    Pups are 9.5 cm x 1.9 cm. Screw projections are 2.9 cm at their widest point and 4 cm apart. Any ideas?

This chap put in Bartolinis but looks like there is a little bit of space in the pocket. Tobias Toby Deluxe IV by Epiphone Project

He also had to do some mods for the preamp... any idea on another pre-amp which may fit in a bit more directly.

Help is appreciated!!

7. nonohmic

nonohmic

Dec 13, 2005
    ABQ, NM.
    Also yes, def want to darken down the tone. Will go with flats and try and get as close to the P thump as I can

8. gabrielvv7

gabrielvv7

Mar 10, 2013
    Louisiana
    The Bartolini 9j1 pickups can help with darkening the tone a bit. Just have to make sure that if your bass has the same size cavity for both neck and bridge you get the same size pair and not the standard long bridge and short neck. As for the pre... these bases have 2 band eq if I'm not mistaken (correct me if I am), so maybe upgrading to a 2 or 3 band preamp with a gain cut/boost on the module would be nice to go with the barts.

9. rufus.K

rufus.K

Oct 18, 2015
    SoCal
    It is a 2 band, but you can swap in a stacked pot

10. nonohmic

nonohmic

Dec 13, 2005
    ABQ, NM.
    Great thanks guys this gives me some stuff to work on. I like the idea of the barts

11. nonohmic

nonohmic

Dec 13, 2005
    ABQ, NM.
    Thought maybe just a two band with a gain and a blend control would suit me nicely. Then that will take up the four knobs already in place

Play guitar too? Become a founding member of TalkGuitar.com