1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Tobias Toby pro 4string value?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by cdactivist, Jan 22, 2014.

1. cdactivist

cdactivist

Hey all
    Anyone know what one of these are worth?
    Listed as immaculate
    Circa 2002/3 Korean
    Sunburst
    Bolt on neck - not the thru neck type

I can see people say they're reasonable build but average tech

I've been offered one for £120 in the UK

Also what do people recommend for same kinda price ?
    Im a returning player after many years sabbatical (was a DJ for a long time)
    I have accumulated a small collection but not feeling very inspired
    Quite like a short scale for not having to stretch to hard and quickish changes

Thx guys
  2. GM60466

GM60466

I brought one in mint condition last year for $150 plus shipping. Real waste of money
  3. CrashClint

CrashClint I Play Bass therefore I Am Supporting Member

I believe the Bolt on model is the Toby Deluxe with Jazz Pickups whereas the Pro models are neck through.

A friend bought a Toby Pro 5 when they were first put out by Music Yo, he paid just over $300 which wasn't bad for a neck through. The neck on his was nice and straight and he ended up putting original Bartolini Pickups and Preamp like came on Tobias basses. It sounded and played well.

Sam Ash in Raleigh NC has a 5 string Toby Pro they are trying to sell for $900. I have told them numerous times that it is not a real Tobias bass. It was made in Korea, it only has one truss rod and the adjuster is located at the headstock. I guess they feel some sucker will walk in one day, think it is a real Tobias and buy it at face value.
  4. cdactivist

cdactivist

Thx guys much appreciated
    I walked away from this
    Even though I'm not a great player - I kinda ended up with x5 over the years so I guess I was being greedy and couldn't help myself!

I'm starting to think about punting a few bits and putting the cash into a medium budget - I'll pop other post up as I am truely ignorant to which is best so I'd like some help please!
  5. Westybass

Westybass

I have a twenty odd year old Toby Deluxe 5. Sounds and plays beautifully. Tried one of the recent Toby Deluxe 5's and it is worlds apart in everything apart from the general appearance. The real telltale in looks is the layout of the controls.