Toby deluxe IV vs Squier classic vibe jazz 60s bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fluffhead92, Feb 11, 2014.

1. fluffhead92

fluffhead92

Ive been playing a lot of basses recently, minus the squier cv jazz (still waiting to find one in person at GC or other music stores in denver), and have narrowed it down to the squier CV 60s jazz or the walnut tobias toby deluxe IV. The toby played great, almost too great, definitely sounded better than all the ibanezs I tried, minus the SR500PB. The price is incredible on the tobias and Im having a hard time believing the squier will be that much better.

Im just looking for the cons and pros associated with these two basses that make one or the other stand out, that seasoned bassists may be able to point that i may not pick up on as a beginner.

Thanks

:bassist:
  2. fluffhead92

fluffhead92

3. fluffhead92

fluffhead92

I also plan on using octave and envelope filter pedals.
  4. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative Supporting Member

I've picked up a few of the new Tobys at GC and every one of them has been a disappointment. They feel cheap, and the Squier and SUB basses in the same price range feel like you're getting more bang for your buck. Personal opinion mind you, the Toby basses are pretty enough.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. awilkie84

awilkie84 Supporting Member

Agreed. My money would be on the SUB or VM Jazz every time.
  7. Bassisgood4U

Bassisgood4U

The frets and tuners are on the Squier CV's are made of a cheaper metal. Other than that..pro level basses.
  8. thorper

thorper

I have a Squier Jaguar and an Epiphone Toby Standard. I like the Toby's neck more, and generally think it's a more comfortable, lighter bass. Plus I like having 24 frets. The Toby's tuners aren't quite as solid though. People on this board are probably going to tend towards suggesting the Squier. Listen to your gut though. Try them both out with a strap and see which one feels better.
  9. fluffhead92

fluffhead92

thanks for the responses

Definitely need to try out the squire, I just have yet to see one in person. The neck and the string placement on the tobias was great IMO. Im excited to try the squire. Is the extra $130 worth it?

what are thee most noticeable differences between the two ?
  10. Maxdusty

Maxdusty Supporting Member

I actually traded my Walnut Toby Deluxe IV for a Squier Jaguar. I prefer the Squier. I love the feel of the Toby's neck as well, it just feels really nice - as well as the overall action. The quality of the build is excellent- no sharp fret edges, just nice all around. Where I think it doesn't do well in is the sound. The pickups are weak and noisy. I felt that the Toby's range of sounds (or lack of) is by far it's weakest point. It cannot do a deep bass sound even with the bass booster set to full- comes out a little muddy. Replace the pickups and perhaps the preamp, then I imagine it will be a much better bass. Was on the fence about trading it, but after trying the Squier for a while at GC, it was obviously the better sounding of the two - the Toby felt better by feel and overall quality.
    I agree, the op should try both basses and see which one would work, but make sure to check the tone range on both too.

EDIT: Biggest difference between the Toby and my active Squier Jaguar- the pickups- the Squier is more powerful and capable of hitting clearer low notes (crisper). Toby has no power and hard to get any bass out of it.
  11. Webtroll

If you've tried a Toby and like it I'd buy it rather than buy something else because someone told you they like it better. They look cool as hell and if you like the feel why not jump on it?
  12. fluffhead92

fluffhead92

Trust me right now im leaning towards the toby, but Im gonna try out the squier hopefully by the end of this week. Maybe it blows me away maybe it doesnt.

Toby saves me a $130 and has the wider string space so that already is perfect for me. With that 130 I can buy a practice amp and strings..

Not to hijack my own thread but what would be good replacement pickups for the toby? Thats really the only negative I read about these, and the preamps, but for $250 what do people expect...
  13. Webtroll

I'd get a decent amp before modding the Toby. If the Toby is $130 but you're already considering a pickup and preamp change how much of a savings is it? Have you looked at the deals avail in the TB Classifieds? Used sure, but if money is that tight it's worth considering.
  14. fluffhead92

fluffhead92

the toby deluxe IV is $250 that i am looking at. I wouldnt upgrade the pickups until i was significantly better which wouldnt be for a while, just asking for reference. Moneys not super tight i just want to get a good deal on a beginner bass ill be happy with.
  15. Maxdusty

For $250, you can also consider some other basses that are maybe a little bit better in quality and pickups. Bigger choices available if you're willing to purchase a used bass. A Sterling Sub Ray is probably the biggest seller within the price range of $200-300 these days, my local GC sells so many of them and unequivocally recommend the bass to anyone . Excellent basses and the sound is just awesome on those. Don't know if you want to look at those, but check out the posts about the bass here on TB.
    I have two, I bought a new one for $268 (mint green) and a used one for $159 (white).. Best value for the money imo.

Buying used will save you a lot of money even for a used Tobias Toby Deluxe, it goes for $124 at GC Here's a link to one.. http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Store-Used-USED-TOBY-BY-TOBIAS-BASS-MATTE-109478381-i3629344.gc I know the one linked is a Deluxe because the standard versions are either a glossy black or white finish only. With shipping to your door, it's anywhere from $10-25 additional. You can call the particular store that has the bass and get his/her assessment of the condition beforehand. GC has a 30 policy even on their used instruments.
    You can then use the money saved to make it a killer bass by upgrading the pickups. Here's a thread on TB about some options. http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f38/change-pickups-preamp-please-help-tobias-toby-bass-7794/
    Speaking of used... for $250, your instrument choices just expands dramatically- include the Spector Performer, Schecters, perhaps even MIM Fender basses.
  16. Webtroll

+1 on the SUB. I have a few basses and recently bought an Ibanez 5er as a practice and bar beater bass (modded, but I love to mod). Despite the number of basses I have avail including a US made SUB StingRay I still bought a new SUB Sterling (SB-14 if I remember the correct designation). I might mod it as I love tinkering with my basses, but truth be told I would easily gig with it out of the box (one exception: straplocks). I have a couple of Squier Precision basses destined to be Frankenbasses; they are good solid instruments with readily available replacement and upgrade parts. With all the basses and gear I have, including the 8 string Tobias, I still bought an import SUB because it sounded good, it played great, parts to swap are fairly available (not the neck and body but it's a standard pickup and preamp configuration), and it was crazy light (about 7 pounds). That said, if you prefer the way the Toby plays I wouldn't even look at the other basses. Replacement parts can be obtained in the TB classifieds cheaper than they can be obtained new.

[​IMG]

Edit: The necks on the SUB and the Toby are completely different
  17. Maxdusty

Nice basses! Yes, the necks are different- the Toby is pretty comfortable, the SUB has a fast neck too, comfortable, just a little more girth to it- but slim nonetheless. Even though I already have 2 SUBs, that Sterling SB4 is next on my list. Really want one of those too. I'm not particular to Stingrays but these basses are just amazing quality for the money.

To the op: Brand new it's $249. at GC.
    http://www.guitarcenter.com/Sterling-by-Music-Man-S-U-B--SB4-Bass-Guitar-107767105-i2442870.gc
  18. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

fluffhead92, I just sent you a P.M.