1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Tom Evans: Badfinger

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by shrimpflea, Dec 27, 2013.

1. shrimpflea

shrimpflea

2. pfox14

pfox14

Badfinger was a terrific band with terrible management. They got ripped off bigtime which caused one of the founding members to commit suicide. Very sad story.

3. joebeadg

joebeadg

good singer too! I love that band

4. ilovenofrets

ilovenofrets

I am a big fan! Yes, Tom Evans was a really good bassist. He, and Pete Ham both commited suicide after they realized the band's net worth was basicaly zero. Very tragic story. Last I knew, Joey Molland was still performing under the Badfinger moniker, but the original lineup cannot be touched. Great musicianship, and they could all sing well.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. JimK

JimK

...let me guess-
    You got into them after Breaking Bad? :)
    Well, I did...bought several of their albums after the BB finale.
    Yes, a tragic story (Badfinger's, not Walter White's). Badfinger were cool...many people know their songs but not the artist.

Next up, I need to buy the album when they were known as The Iveys; Evans played guitar in that band, IIRC.

7. ShoeManiac

ShoeManiac Supporting Member

Badfinger really is one of the most tragic stories in rock music. They managed to get some fantastic exposure given their association with The Beatles Apple Records lable. But their management did them so much wrong, and that's what led to the suicide of their chief songwriter, Pete Ham. Bassist/singer Tom Evans followed the same path years later when he too, took his own life.

Personally, I discovered Badfinger about 15 years ago when I got a CD copy of their classic album Straight Up. Sure, I had heard songs like "Day after day" on the radio for years, but sometimes you just need that little bit of exposure to a band to really fall in love with their work. And Straight Up is an album that can draw in just about anybody. And over time I've been digging through more of their catalog.

As a bass player, Tom Evans has never really wowed me. But that's perfectly okay. As a band Badfinger was always much more about the song than any one instrumental part. The only time I can recall a single instrument REALLY standing out are in the slide guitar breaks on "Day After Day". Some of those were played by Pete Ham, and others by George Harrison, who produced some of Badfinger's work. I think that Tom Evans worked so well in Badfinger because he was a solid bassist who was a GREAT singer. And his vocals meshed incredibly well with those of Pete Ham and Joey Molland.

8. southpaw723

southpaw723

I've loved Badfinger since I was 13. They are one of my favorite bands and they have such a great catalog of music. Such a sad story though.

9. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    On of my favorite bands ever. I got to know Tommy back in the early 80's when Badfinger (Tommy, Mike the drummer and a couple of stand ins, No Joey) toured the clubs in Upstate NY. He was a bit down then but I was a little surprised and deeply saddened when he committed suicide. I remember one gig in a little club outside Akron NY, the usual appalling upstate NY winter weather. Their gear didn't make it but they had their guitars so the played to about six of us while the snow piled up. Tommy was pleased I had made it to the gig(I drove in from Oswego)I made a huge Back On The Airwaves banner and had hung it on the outside of the venue,Tommy was pretty chuffed. Later people tore pieces off it for autographs. At the end of the night they had no ride back to the hotel so we all piled into my '72 Monte Carlo and I dropped them off at the hotel. Great band, great sound, great songs they had it all really. The were fantastic live, Day after Day is a live show from '74 at the Cleveland Agora Ballroom, Highly recommenced listening. I have a couple of Tommy's picks and Tommy's autograph around here somewhere. He even let me play his Modified Gibson EB I, nice guy it's a pity really.

10. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

That's a great story, G.O.T.. Having that personal interaction with them must have made those tragic suicides even tougher.

I loved their harmonies. This is a little off-topic, but one of my favorite moments in "The Concert For Bangladesh" was George Harrison singing "Here Comes The Sun" while he and Pete Ham played beautiful acoustic guitar. Outstanding...

11. godofthunder59

Disclosures:
    Aside from Jazz basses he was also know to use Gibson nonreverse Thinderbirds.......like the one in my avatar ;) and a Gibson EB 1. A friend of mine Norm who lives in California and hung with the band at the time sent me some pics of the band in around '79-'80 after they arrived in the states with a big advance to record Airwaves. I'll dig those up and post a few of those pics.

12. godofthunder59

Disclosures:
    A often underrated and over looked band. It's nice to see then getting some well deserved love. I was deeply saddened by Tommy's death, much the same way as when John Lennon was shot. I remember exactly where I was and what I was doing.

13. shrimpflea

shrimpflea

Actually I started to get into them get just a few weeks ago (do love Breaking Bad though). I had always known about them and liked what I'd heard, for some though their music is connecting with me more right now. I suppose knowing their tragic history adds a little more weight to the music too.
    Walter's story is kind of tragic too.

14. JimK

JimK

...and the Straight Up cd booklet shows Tom (& Mike Gibbons) playing a sunburst Fender P.

Self-inflicted.
    (Great show w/ some very cool song choices at that).

15. godofthunder59

Disclosures:
    As promised pictures from the '79 rehearsal session for Airwaves in LA. All pictures were taken by my friend Norm Hasenfang. First Tommy with his modded EB1[​IMG] Tommy with a P bass and Joey in the background with a Les paul.[​IMG]Tommy at the piano, Pretty sure that's Mike on the drums[​IMG]Tommy and Joey playing ping pong[​IMG] A close up of Tommy's EB1, this is the bass I got to play when he made the rounds upstate in the early 80's. If I remember correctly by then it had a cream colored Dimarzio P pickup installed...........but I could be mixing up my memories.[​IMG]

16. pfox14

pfox14

Not much of a photographer, but very cool none-the-less. Nice EB-1 bass.

17. godofthunder59

Disclosures:
    It's not like today where everyone over the age of six has a phone with a camera that can hold a almost unlimited number of pictures. Norm took candid pictures of friends, not as a professional photographer. There are some great domestic pics. life by the pool, afternoon tea etc. Not sure I'll post those.

18. Pet Sounds

Pet Sounds

Badfinger was great during Ham's lifetime. It was just pathetic when they were on the downhill slide in Tom's last years. There's a good book about the band out there. Pete Ham's posthumously released song demos are well worth tracking down. Some of these songs would've been Great Badfinger tracks.