1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Tommy Cogbill's old bass, only 95K

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by corinpills, Jan 15, 2013.

1. corinpills

corinpills

Let's all chip in!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Histori...9570164?pt=Guitar&hash=item1c2f1ddb74&afsrc=1

The Historic American Sound Studio 1959 Fender Precision Bass

The Historic American Sound Studio's 1959 Fender Precision Bass Guitar Serial #38726

Yes, this is this bass guitar you see in Elvis's lap!! Whether relaunching the musical career of Elvis Presley or the launching of numerous others, American Sound Studio in Memphis TN produced 122 charted recordings between 1967 and 1972("an unmatched achievement") and this bass was witness to it all. History oozes out of this axe. This Fender P. was the house bass at American Sound Studios and played on the majority of these hits. (There was a Hofner there and occasionally others but they were seldom used) This bass was used mainly by legendary Bassist and producer Tommy Cogbill and the equally legendary Bassist, arranger, and producer Mike Leech, who owns and is selling this instrument. These two guys have influenced a plethora of bass playing luminaries over the generations. This was the bass Tommy and Mike played that made them legendary. This bass, as authenticated in supporting documents, played on Elvis's incredibly significant comeback recordings in Memphis TN in 1969 including but not limited to Suspicious Minds, In the Ghetto, Kentucky Woman, Daddy Don't Cry, Trouble, Power of Your Love, Stranger in my Own Home Town, and all songs from these sessions. This is just the tip of the iceberg. This bass has to be nominated as the Holy Grail of Rock and Soul Bass Guitars when you consider the long list of hits it has played on. Memphis Soul Stew by King Curtis (with the crazy legendary bass solo intro), Memphis Underground by Herbie Mann, Sweet Caroline, Brother Love's Salvation Show (Neil Diamond),Aretha Franklin's Respect, Chain of Fools, A Natural Woman, Baby I Love You, Do Right Woman- Son Of A Preacher Man, Dusty(Springfield) in Memphis, B.J. Thomas-Hooked on a Feeling, I Just Can't Help Believing, Somebody Done Some Body Wrong Song, Eyes of a New York Woman, -Drift Away and Lovin Arms by Dobie Gray,- Funky Broadway, Land of a Thousand Dances, Midnite Mover, I'm in Love and many others by Wilson Pickett, James Carr, Joe Tex, James and Bobby Purify, Arthur Conley, and other soul masterpieces. Grammy Award winning, Always on my Mind by Willie Nelson. The first two albums by John Prine, Guy Clarke, and the first two recordings by the The Highwaymen. (Producer Chips Moman told Mike Leech before The Highwaymen Sessions to make sure and bring "the magic bass." He knew what he meant), Billy Swan's I Can Help, Sleepin Single in a Double Bed, Barbara Mandrell, Cry Like a Baby-The Boxtops, Rings by Cimmaron and just more hit records than I could possibly name here.

Attached Files:

2. MegaSwing

MegaSwing Your Obedient Bassist® Gold Supporting Member

It's a nice thought. Good luck.
  3. The Diaper Geni

The Diaper Geni Supporting Member

Loves me some Tommy Cogbill.

I like the funny little face just to the right of the back plate.
  4. hdracer

hdracer Supporting Member

I would love to have that bass.
    I hope Mike Leech gets his money for it.
  5. corinpills

corinpills

It's hard to imagine any private collector paying that much for it, but maybe a museum or something.
  6. TolerancEJ

TolerancEJ

I hope they are very careful with this transaction. It's a cash only sale. If an unscrupulous person learned where the buyer & seller plan to meet, that person might try to intercept the briefcase containing $95K in cash.

Come to think of it, that might make a pretty good movie, well TV movie perhaps.
  7. bassistjoe93

bassistjoe93 Supporting Member

Dang. That's way too much dough! Cool bass, but dang!
  8. pedro

pedro

Awesome piece of history but way out of my reach.
  9. TolerancEJ

TolerancEJ

Maybe it should have put it on a public auction, where people with money actually attend. Show the pic with Elvis and watch the bidding paddles go up again and again.
  10. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

More of a piece of music history...very cool.
  11. Lublin

Lublin Supporting Member

Oh my god..............
  12. TolerancEJ

TolerancEJ

I'd say this fella's got the most mojo ever posted on TB.
  13. Buskman

Buskman

Wonder if Mike Leech would take $20 just to let me play it for a few minutes, so some of the mojo rubs off on me... :ninja:

Seriously, that has to be one of the top 5 most important bass guitars, right up there with the Bass of Doom, the Funk Machine & Sir Paul's Hofner. VERY cool.
  14. TolerancEJ

TolerancEJ

Agreed!
  15. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist:
    Freakin cool. Was looking at a '57 for myself a while back. Quite a bit less than this one. Lol
  16. Kuroth

Kuroth

Should go in the Music Hall of Fame or something like that..
  17. mindwell

mindwell Supporting Member

That is a reasonable asking price. Oh, the stories it could tell!
  18. D.M.N.

D.M.N. Supporting Member

If I had the cash to spare, no doubt I'd buy this. That is the bass on some of my favorite records of all time. Way too cool.
  19. ibateur

ibateur

I love the story, but would probably look at it in disappointment for the rest of my life. Why? Because the bass itself will not tell the stories. The mojo will not show up when I play it. They need to video interview all the still-living people who ever played it on a recording and have them tell their stories.

What it must be like to hold it, huh?