1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Tommy Shannon's Setup

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by td1368, Mar 28, 2001.

1. td1368

td1368

Does anybody know what Tommy Shannon from Double Trouble, played with Stevie Ray Vaughan, used for bass, amps etc. Especially in the recording Texas Flood. I 've seen pictures of him with a jazz bass and also what looked like a peavy 8x10 or something. I'm a big fan just curious.
  2. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

I read somewhere that he uses two Hartke 4x10’s, Trace Elliot 1x15 4x10 cabinets, Trace Elliot AH600SMX head and Ampeg SVT II head
  3. sgraham

sgraham

I think on Texas Flood he used a P-Bass with flatwounds, then around Soul to Soul he went
    to a Jazz with roundwounds.
  4. td1368

td1368

Groovy. I've been using flatwounds lately with my neck pickup soloed and have been getting relatively close to the sound.
  5. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

I'm a big Tommy fan myself. I suspect that he's one of those guys who'll sound the same no matter what he's playing with or through. Seems to me that he's not been real picky about his gear except that he goes back to Fender after a detour into something else.
  6. td1368

td1368

I agree. Tommy just has a big sound with alot of subtle moves, ghost notes, triplets.

I got SRV Lightining blues w/ bass notation. Covers alot of songs from Texas Flood to Soul to Soul. Didn't realize most SRV songs have shuffle time 6/8, 3/4 etc. Not much 4/4
  7. bassbrad

bassbrad

Tommy Shannon was a user of Peavey bass amps and Peavey and Deitz enclosures back then. He used 2x15s and a 3620 (2x18+2x10) and a Max head. He tried other stuff but usually went back to the Peavey stuff when the other stuff broke down.
  8. td1368

td1368

Thanks, I saw a photo from an SRV biography and Shannon was standing in front of a huge Peavy cabinet. After going through the amp section of talkbass it seems like there are a lot of people who dislike Peavy amps. I had to do a double take on the photo.
  9. Rockinscott

Rockinscott

I saw Double Trouble backing Buddy Guy about 8 months ago at the Gruene Hall here in Texas. He was playing a Music Man Stingray through an SVT II into two Hartke 410XL cabs. Dude was so drugged out he was almost drooling on himself but he had a GODLY tone! :bassist:
  10. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight Supporting Member

I remember seeing some early footage of Double Trouble (think it might have been on an old Austin City Limits episode), and it looked like Tommy was playing through a set of home-made cabinets. There wasn't any tolex or capreting on them, just bare wood. Later it showed a newer performance and Tommy was playing through the Hartkes with his Jazz Bass copy (which sounded awesome). He also played a real tasteful solo during Couldn't Stand the Weather.
  11. jerry

jerry Definitely not trending Gold Supporting Member

I thought he was still "sober"....oh well :eyebrow:
  12. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

:cool:
    I seen him a few times.
    Played eather a Jazz with roundwound. or a Percision.
    Alway uses 2-15 cabs.
  13. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    I thought so too, that's too bad. :(

As posted by bassbrad, during his heyday with SRV he used a Peavey Max amp (which I think was basically a CS800 with a built-in bass preamp) and Peavey 3620 cabs. He mainly used his old "Olympic White" Jazz and a P-Bass with a 3-color sunburst that SRV gave him as a gift.

I have to agree with mchildree; Tommy's from the "Tone is in his hands" camp. IMO regardless of what brand of amp he plugs into, it will end up sounding like him.

I really admire his playing, he's one of my favorites.

- Art
  14. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

He's one of my favorites too. Sometimes the genius of a bass line is in the simplicity. I can't remember who said that first. Either Count Basie or Duke Ellington. Tommy always played the tasty notes and was careful not to put in too many of them. This complemented SRV's busy guitar style perfectly. I do all of SRV's material and I haven't added much to Shannon's bass lines. Timeless, classic, blues bass that will live forever. ;)
  15. Funky-Wunky

Funky-Wunky

I always admired Tommy's bass playing, solid an in the pocket. I see he has been selling some of his stuff on ebay lately.