tommy tu tone jenny

Discussion in 'Tablature [BG]' started by skypn, Jan 1, 2014.

1. skypn

skypn

what key is this song in? tia
  2. kikstand454

kikstand454 Supporting Member

3. gene beauchamp

gene beauchamp Supporting Member

YEP!!!!
  4. Bart1966

Bart1966

I have the bass line written out. OP send me message with e-mail if you want it and I can send to you. Notation only , no tab.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Lobster11

Lobster11 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Isn't it actually F#min (or A major)?

I'm not sure exactly what flavor of F# the first chord is -- it might be a power chord with no third -- but the rest of the chord progression clearly fits with F#min (A), not F# major.
  7. obimark

obimark

There are a dozen tabs of this on the internet already, most are correct or close enough- The Main Riff is F# D A BC#B A... rinse and repeat.

You go to E (Open E) for the prechorus... not difficult if you have been playing for anything more than 2 months.

It changes chords in the bridge as well with a Jump to another "Key"
  8. Lobster11

Yes, the bass line is pretty straightforward and it's easy to find (tolerably accurate) tab for it. But OP's question wasn't about the bass line; it was about what key the song is in. And that's actually not an easy question to answer if the first chord is actually F# rather than F#min.

I'm interested in knowing exactly what those first four chords are, even though it doesn't really matter as far as the bass line is concerned. (My own band has been talking about adopting the song, and I want to help out my guitarist.) Some sources I've seen identify the first chord as F#, others as F#min. My guess is that it isn't either: It's a root-fifth-octave power chord with no third. I suspect that the other three verse chords -- D, A, and B -- are similarly power chords. Does anybody know?

By the way, I think the bass riff in the verse actually alternates between the riff you noted and the simpler "F# D A B."
  9. obimark

obimark

Correct about the alternating in the verse- sometimes I just play the B only the whole way through the verse- then do the riff everytime in the chorus (seems to give it a little more drive) I feel the key of the overall song is A-Major or F# Minor- because all the notes of the bridge, chorus and verses are found in the A-Major scale, but that could be wrong.
  10. Lobster11

Right, that's what I think too. I'd still like to hear from any guitar players out there who can confirm or deny that the four verse chords are played as power chords.

I like your idea of playing the simple riff in the verse and adding the C#-B-A in the chorus. A nice thing about that is that those extra notes double the vocal on the word "nine" -- i.e., "ni-ee-ine." Another idea that occurs to me would be to use the simple riff through the first half of the verse and/or chorus, and switch to the extended riff for the second half. I think I'll experiment with both of those.... once my guitarist learns the song.
  11. bhunt1

bhunt1 Supporting Member

My band plays Jenny and i only play the C#-B-A part in the chorus (when the vocal is 'make you mine'), and stick to the F#-D-A-B in the verse. I think it sounds ok. Here's a clip of us playing it:

12. obimark

obimark

On top of the main question, was the guitar solo edited down in length or something on the recording? It always feels rushed to me, feels like it was supposed to be longer. Wonder if there is an alternate take of the original out there somewhere?
  13. Lobster11

This does sound good, but you're doing the C#-B-A bit over "ni-ee-ine," not over "make you mine" (which occurs in a different section of the song). That's the same thing I understood obimark to be suggesting.

I think we might all be confusing our terminology here: Now that I think about it, the section that repeats "867-5309" over the verse chord progression is probably not best referred to as the "chorus." I'm not sure what else to call it -- maybe the "refrain"? -- but the section that starts with "Jenny, I got your number..." (over E-D-A) s probably better termed the "chorus."

Anyway, if that's right, then you're adding the C#-B-A bit during the refrain, but not during the verse. And if I understood obimark correctly, that's what he meant also.

I still want to know if those verse chords are power chords.... :(
  14. Lobster11

Here's a live version that stretches that section out a little more:

15. kikstand454

I think of " jenny I got your number...." as the bridge and " 8675309" as the chorus.
    The chorus and the verse share the same chords and on the recording, the riff alternates playing the c# fill and not.
    The verse is no fill, fill, no fill. I personally play it that way....but when the chorus comes along, I play fill, no fill, fill- because I'm singing the back up "8675309" and its easier.
    Btw, if you set the key of the sosong based on the opening riffs triads, then its f#min. But the actual verse is played with powerchords ( with a second guitar playing min fills over it) and so iI think it would technically be f#.
  16. Lobster11

That's what I was thinking too, but then there's a third section -- the "I got it..." part -- that seems to me to function as a bridge. (If not, what would you call it?) So I kinda worked backwards and figured that if the "I got it..." part is the bridge, then the "Jenny, I got your number..." part was the chorus, and so the repeating "867-5309" part -- which follows the verse progression -- must be something else. I did a little Googling and discovered that although some sources use the terms "refrain" and "chorus" interchangeably, others emphasize that they are different, with a "refrain" being a repeating line at the end of a verse. So this makes me think that the "867-5309" part is best labelled a refrain, etc.

We had already agreed that the original version alternates between fill/no-fill. If you need to reverse the order during the "refrain" (or whatever we call it) so you can sing, all the power to you! I still haven't mastered the ability to sing and play at the same time, so I admire anyone who can do it -- even if it means changing up the bass line a little to do so.

No, I think you were right with F#min (or A major), even if the chords are played as power chords. That would mean that IF the F# chord included a third, it would be a minor third; the fact that the third isn't actually played doesn't change that. All of the chords of the song -- including whatever we decide to call a refrain, chorus, bridge, etc. -- are diatonic to the key of A (F#min), not to the key of F#.
  17. pmatz2

pmatz2

Someone else's chart might help with the terminology discussion

CHORUS:
    Jenny I got your number
    I need to make you mine
    Jenny don't change your number

BRIDGE
    I got it (I got it)
    I got it
    I got your number on the wall
    I got it (I got it)
    I got it
    For a good time, for a good time call!

http://www.dearjon.us/JENNY-867-5309_TommyTutone.pdf
  18. Lobster11

Right, that's what I'm saying (now). But that chart doesn't provide a label for the repeated "867-5309" section, which happens to be the section we've been talking most about. I'm suggesting that we call that section the "refrain" to distinguish it from the verse, chorus, and bridge. Does that make sense?
  19. obimark

obimark

This thread will now serve as the gold standard for all future cover bands who will play this song! ;-)
  20. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

... even if they dont want to ;)
  21. kikstand454

I agree completely with your logic, and as I have no actual musical training....I will agree/support the "refrain" idea.