Tomorrow i'm buying my first bass, what else do i need?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bragiz, Jan 5, 2014.

1. Bragiz

Bragiz

Hello friend

Tomorrow i'm FINALLY buying my first bass guitar! (Squire VM jaguar)

What other stuff should i buy to make sure i have the right tools for the job?

I guess tuner is a must right? pick? what else?

I already have an amp btw

2. Baird6869

Baird6869 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Nobody is stupid enough to actually pay me to play their gear.
    Tuner, instrument cable, strap, picks if you want to use a pick and maybe a cleaning cloth and extra strings.

Lessons are a better idea than buying lots of effects and accessories IMO.

3. Reddog01

Reddog01

You might want to consider getting a case or gig bag to protect it while you transport it. You might find a stand helpful while you practice or gig.

4. Ironbar

Ironbar

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    Congrats on the new bass! I remember the day I got my first bass and that was way back in 1971! This is a day you will remember for the rest of your life. The Squier Jag is a good first choice. Don't be in a hurry to move on and sell it for something better. I still have my first bass and I cherish it. When you do up grade keep the jag as a back up. A stand would be a good thing to have. Pics when you get the bass!

7. Bragiz

Bragiz

But cable and strap comes with it i think

8. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    You can always use a extra cable :)

9. verycoolname

verycoolname

Are you getting an amp too? Because if not that's what I'd get first.

Required Bassist Tools

1) Bass (of course)

2) Amp (so you can hear the mighty bass)

3) Cable (to plug in the bass to amp/tuner)

4) Tuner (so your bass doesn't sound awful)

5) Strap (so you can use your new bass while standing)

6) Flyswatter, so you can beat off the women who will inevitably be throwing themselves at you (this is an optional item, of course ;)).

After that I'd say pay for lessons/instruction books/etc. before getting anymore gear.

10. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

Is this your first instrument or just your first bass?

If it is your first instrument, I cannot stress this enough, rent! Spend 6 months on a nice rental, then if your still playing in six months get a nice bass. Most players quit fairly soon after starting, renting allows you to save some cash if you quit as well as allow you to buy a bass once you actually know what you want out an instrument.

11. ZenG

ZenG

You'll need to go the meetings...

"Hi...my name is ****** and I'm a TalkBassaholic"

12. Casting Thunder

Casting Thunder

13. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

A supporting membership so you can begin the never ending cycle of buying and selling till you find "the one".....until the one doesn't cut it anymore and the cycle begins again.

14. Bragiz

Bragiz

I don't have instrument renting service in my country so...

15. pedroims

pedroims

Metronome, tunner, cable, lessons with a competent teacher, I would recommend watch in youtube MarlowDK and Divinebass videos, you can learn alot from them.

16. malthumb

malthumb Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Bragiz,

Welcome to TalkBass! You have made a wise choice in terms of a first bass. I become more and more impressed with Squier basses every time I try one. You have received a lot of good advice so far, so I'll just try to summarize and in some cases, provide pricing guidance.

It would help us help you if you added your location to your profile. There might be experienced TBers near where you live who could point you to good resources for lessons and/or useful gear.

MY suggestions, in order of importance
    • Tuner (a decent headstock mount tuner can cost $20-30)
    • Cleaning cloth. $5. (If you have cloth diapers in your household, they work just as well)
    • A GOOD cable. $30. If they give you a cable, that'll be fine for a while, but you'll eventually need a good cable if you plan to play in a group setting with other musicians
    • Gig bag $30-70, or hard case $80-120, depending on your preference. If they give you a gig bag with your purchase that will serve you for a while. But as soon as you start taking it out of the house a lot, for lessons or to jam with friends, you want to make sure you have a good bag or case.
    • Stand $20-50. If you have a bag or a case, you can wait to get a stand, as long as you are diligent in putting your bass back in the bag or case when you are not using it.

I did not weigh in on picks, because I've never used a pick and I did not weigh in on strings. Play with the strings that are on it for as long as you can. There are so many brands, types, and gauges of strings that you would only be guessing on what to buy as replacements. If they offer you a set of strings with the purchase, by all means accept them. But as you play your instrument more, think about what you like or don't like. Then when you are ready to buy strings, talk to an experienced bassist or a pro at the store. Let them know what you want to have "more of" or "less of" with your bass. Sometimes that can lead you to string choices that will help you. Maybe you want a thicker low end. Maybe you want more zing at the top. Maybe you want more sustain. Each of those wants will lead you down a different string path. Don't rush into buying new strings, just learn what you like.

Have fun learning and playing and enjoy your time on TB.

Peace,

James

17. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN" Supporting Member

and don't forget condoms!:hyper:

18. drummer5359

drummer5359 Gold Supporting Member

I just gave my eleven year old great nephew a bass for Christmas.

As this is his first instrument, I gave a good bit of thought as to what he'd need. This is what I came up with.

1.) The bass. For him it is an older Peavey American made Fury. I dropped it off at a local shop and had a good setup done on it with new strings.

2.) I got him a nice wide leather strap. Wider straps seem more comfortable to me.

3.) I gave him a brand new decent cable that I had never used to get him started. It was new in the bag with some bass that I bought.

4.) I like ultimate stands, they are not that expensive and seem durable. I picked up one of those for him.

5.) I had a good gig bag that came in one of my (many) equipment trades, that became part of the gift package.

6.) I picked up Snark clip on tuner for him.

7.) His mother bought him a practice amp. I recommended the Ampeg BA-108. She got the first letter of the company correct and picked up an Acoustic practice amp for him.

8.) Headphones! Although not needed for everyone starting out, he needs them so that he can practice silently in the apartment where they live. His father got him a set of Dr. Beats. (They cost more than the amp,)

9.) This is something nobody else mentioned, which surprised me. I bought him a small, decent metronome to help develop his time. (I guess it took a drummer to think of that...) ;)

10.) I bought him a DVD instructional beginning bass course. I watch him and his siblings once a week for his mom. I've already started to show him the basics. I will continue to teach him and eventually get him into lessons with a local instructor.

19. frankieC

frankieC A swell guy from Warren Harding High

A bunch of stuff to learn!

20. philvanv

philvanv Gerbil Turds, Kitsap County Turd Core

Disclosures:
    and at the bottom it says thank you, and now you can **** off
  21. Batmensch

Batmensch Supporting Member

Not with Squiers. At least my two didn't. All I got was a couple of Allen wrenches.