1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Tonal comparison of Warwick Streamer Stage I and II

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by KB, Dec 1, 2003.

1. KB

KB

I am looking into possibly getting a Warwick as my next bass (4 string, NT) and I like the streamer body style so I wanted to know thoughts on the tonal differences between the Streamer Stage I and the Streamer Stage II and any thought on the older models with EMG pickups vs the newer ones with MEC.

I know they use different woods and the 4 string versions have slightly different pickups (P/J for SSI and J/J for SSII).

anyone have direct sound clip comparison of the 2 basses. I know the "famous" players (P-Nut, Dirk Lance, Zender, Rivers) and their tone, but through a studio you can add a lot to the tone)

Also are the preamps the same (and the same as on all other active warwicks?)

-KB
  2. KB

KB

bumpity
  3. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Hmm...I'm interested in hearing these comparisons, too.
    Bump for Baby Stewie. :D
  4. KB

KB

bumping this thread again since lots of recent threads about Warwicks.
  5. nick g.

nick g.

Bump again; I'm not at all in the running to buy one, but I'd like to hear it anyway.
  6. Chris_AtariDoll

Chris_AtariDoll

i've never compared them... but, when i was selling my stage ii, a guy who owned a 4-string stage I came to try it out, he wanted a 5-string but couldnt get used to the wide string spacing on a stage i 5, so he thought about buying the stage ii, he said he hated the tone of the stage ii and loved the tone of his stage i, so... there must be quite a difference in tone. just guessing from the woods used, i would think the stage ii could have a deeper, growlier sound, and the stage i will probably be crisper (more high mids).
  7. pmaraziti

pmaraziti Gold Supporting Member

B U M P ... :)

Hey guys, I have same dilemma... want to buy one of them but not before trying them of course... anyway a clip from YOU lucky owner of a Streamer would help !

I'm after a 5 string version, but also a clip of a 4 would be great to listen to !

Tx, Paolo
  8. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

I have a stage II 5 (its for sale) and have played stage Is in shops. The stage I is mostly maple, and so it sounds more like the Spector bass that it is a knockoff of. Not identical, but more that direction, with that sweet maple-body top end. The stage II, while based on the same body shape, is made from dense dark woods, and gets more of that typical, distinctive warwick growl sound. Closer to a thumb bass, but also a bit different from that sound.

From what I understand Stuart Zender used the maple streamers, and you can hear even on the records that it is a different tone that P-Nut's (stage II).

I think the MEC pickups sound very good, and are an important part of the overall package. The current (as of '01) 3-band preamp is voiced very well to compliment the instrument.
  9. DGbass70

DGbass70

if like the shape of the Streamer....you can also check Spectors ,they are the reason why Warwicks(Streamers)
    have that body shape(NS....NED STEINBERGER design it)
    good luck in your search
  10. DGbass70

DGbass70

btw........as for the 2 companies (WARWICK N SPECTOR)
    there's quite a difference in sound
    so it'll be up to the sound that you are looking for
  11. Son of Bovril

Son of Bovril

how similar do the streamer stage 2 and the Thumb NT sound?
  12. poptart

poptart

Disclosures:
    Owner: Bass Direct
    FWIW

Thumb - Compressed/tight sound/slim neck/scooped mid sound - less heavy
    Stage II - Slightly less compressed/good tonal variety/good 3 band eq/same neck dimensions as thumb - heavy
    Stage I - More open sound/more top/wider neck/more jazzy sounding

Hope that helps.
  13. maxbass

maxbass

Thumb = scooped mid sound? :eek:
  14. maxbass

maxbass

They are quite different, apart from the body shape.

The Stage 2 is more typically "Warwick sounding", thanks to its african woods.
    Very deep lows thanks to Afzelia, and dark, low midrange growl.

The Stage 1 isn't so "Warwick sounding".
    More open high frequencies, less midrange growl.

Both models had changed since they were introduced, something to keep in mind.

The Stage 1 was introduced as Streamer bass in 1984.
    Very early ones had a 5 pieces Maple + Wengé neck, and Cherry body wings.
    Quite warm, still very growly thanks to their neck.

Around 1985/86 they adopted a 5 pieces Cherry + Wengé neck.
    Warmer.

In 1987 woods changed again: 5 pieces Maple + Wengé neck and Maple wings.
    Brighter.
    With the introduction of the Stage 2 the name changed to Stage 1.

In 1990 a deep change took place, the neck still remained 5 pieces, but the quantity of wengé in the neck was strongly reduced. Practically the Stage 1 become an all maple neck through with two little Wengé laminates. Much brighter and less growly than the older models. It also adopted the newly introduced MEC pickups, whle the older had usually EMG, Bartolini, but also Alembic and Seymour Duncan.

The Stage 2 was introduced in 1987.

Very early ones had a 7 pieces Wengé + Maple (or Cherry) neck and Afzelia body wings. Great lows, great growl. A compromise between the Thumb and the Stage 1.

Soon after the neck become Afzelia + Wengé.

Same pickups as the eighties Stage 1, with a slighlty different two way electronic.
    In 1990 they too adopted MEC pickups.

In 2001, Ovangkol replaced Wengé in the neck. Less growl,
    more open midrange

In 2003, the neck was changed again: a 5 pieces Ovangkol with 4 very little Wengé laminates.
  15. brandonwong

brandonwong

Thanks for the information...

Its always great to hear how instruments evolve and probably how people react to it also. :hyper:
  16. bassfacer1357

bassfacer1357

Bump Bump Bumparoo
  17. Rumblefisher

Rumblefisher Supporting Member

Ahhhhhh! Zombie thread! @@
  18. azzyrazzy

azzyrazzy

19. Invisible_Sun

Invisible_Sun

Bump...if you're still interested...7 years later...

The sound of the SSII is like a warmer Thumb NT. The pickup spacing is the same as the Corvette Standard, so more Jazz bass like. I love the tone of the SSII, though I don't own one. I played it through an Ampeg SVT-CL and 8x10, the tone was great. I have no doubt it would work with any other amp and cab combo.

I'll be getting a SSI 5 string soon, so I'll post an update regarding that ASAP. :)
  20. Invisible_Sun

Invisible_Sun

BUMP! (Update)

So, I got the SSI, it's from 1995 and is a 5 stringer. It rocks. The tone is so smooth and even, the Barts are solid. It's not particularly Warwick-like. The maple doesn't growl the same as bubinga or ovangkol, but it growls. The sound is similar to what a very high-end all maple, neck through, 5 stringer with Bartolini soapbars.

I figure you could get any tone you want out of this thing. The key thing I noticed, in the way it differs from other Warwicks I've owned or played, it that the tone is super tight and punchy. Not the typical super aggressive punch of a Thumb.

It is similar to a SSII, in its general tonality. Though, I would say the SSII is more agressive, perfect for super high-powered rock or heavy metal. The SSI is, again, very even and balanced in its tone, perfect for all genres.

Hope this helped. :D