1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Tonally challenged or being picky on an upgrade?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ChunkyMunky, Feb 19, 2014.

1. ChunkyMunky

ChunkyMunky

Forgive me in advance if any of this sounds a bit dumb, but I am a bit unsure in this circumstance. As I am heading off for university to study music in September, I am saving up to upgrade over my Ibanez SR800. Not out of any pure necessity but I'd like to keep my Ibanez as a back up but I have no idea what to replace it with. The moment I get to uni, I would be looking to gig as much as possible, so a bass that can handle pretty much anything would be great! Idealistically, I am looking to save up to about $1,500-$2,200 for a bass that is the equivalent of a Swiss army knife. By this poorly chosen metaphor, something that emphasises on the quality of the few tones rather than the quantity that includes a few decent tones. You'd think that this should be open season, right? Unfortunately not as you'll see. :rollno:

Earlier on today, I went to a rather well known music shop in my part of the country to try a selection of basses. Amongst this selection was a Yamaha NE, Zons (5/2, Sonus), Pedulla (Raptures), Fenders (HR Precision, MIA Jazz) and some Musicman stuff (Sterling and a Stingray). I was left either luke warm or cold by a lot of the stuff and I honestly question if I am just being far too picky or if my taste is being spoiled by the comfort of the Ibanez? I loved the bulky tone behind the Sterling but found it a bit on trebly side for my taste and the lack of a neck pickup was a bit odd for me to adjust to. Something like a Musicman HH Bongo? I'm not sure, so any suggestions are more than welcome!

Thanks!
  2. Warhawk

Warhawk Supporting Member

I love my G&L L-2000s. Between my amp and bass I can get lots of sounds. Always wanted to try out a HH Stingray but never had the chance.
    Take your time and play everything that comes your way. Pick what you love.
  3. ChunkyMunky

ChunkyMunky

I'll definitely look out for that. I had the opportunity to try one out earlier, I'm kicking myself for not trying it!