1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Tone can be so subjective...

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Bassdude15, Dec 22, 2013.

1. Bassdude15

Bassdude15

I remember one time this group of guys in my area decided to re-create "Live At Leeds"; 3 musicians on their 40's (I guess you could call them "weekend warriors").
    The bass player's tone matched Johns perfectly, but guess what?? He was playing a Danelectro Longhorn strung with Pyramid Flats through an overdriven SVT!!! Mind you he was playing near the bridge pickup, but I still think its stange how that sounded so much like the Pbass with Rotosound 66's that John actually played on that record.

Anyone else with similar musings, please share them below.

Thanks,
    Bassdude15
  2. Melonthief

Melonthief

When I learn cover tunes I don't just learn the notes, I also work to get the tone on the recording.
    A lot of "tone" is in the hands. It's your attack and fretting. Everything else can be approximated with EQ.