1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Tone control mod - Switch between 2 caps not working

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by llldino, Jan 15, 2013.

1. llldino

llldino

Hey.

Inspired by another topic, I decided to throw a switch controlling 2 caps beside by series/parallel switch. After many hours of troubleshooting, I finally got the series/parallel switch working, but now my tone doesn't work at all. What I mean, is that the signal is unaffected by the tone knob and switch and sounds like the tone is rolled all the way off.

My guess is that the ground is bad coming out of the switch, but the ground from the series/parallel switch grounds in the same place, so maybe that's not it. Im thinking I wired the switch wrong, ill post a link of schematics.

http://i48.tinypic.com/rcso4m.jpg

Note that in the picture, I show the switch being grounded on the tone pot, however, its actually grounded to a lug close to the pickguard, which in turn is grounded to the volume pot..ect ect..which leads to the jack.

2. llldino

llldino

Lol, nevermind guys, i'm a moron. Just tried it again and I think it works. It's hard to tell because my bass is so far from "bassline" (ha ha), what with the new bridge, new strings and unadjusted action/pup height/intonation.

Instead, why not comment on different caps/other fun stuff.