1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. We are currently evaluating the "One Post Per Classified Ad" policy. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Tone Hammer Head vs. Pedal

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by lilcrate, Nov 18, 2013.

1. lilcrate

lilcrate Supporting Member

So I'm currently using an older Trace Elliott head. I want to get a new head with a little more power. I can't decide between the Orange 500 and the Aguilar TH500.

I currently have the TH pedal and really like the sound. I've played through the Orange head at GC and loved it, but haven't tried the Aggie Tone Hammer head, but like the YouTube videos I've heard.

So is my pedal not much different from the head as far as sound?

Orange +tone hammer pedal best of both sounds?

Or just sell pedal and get the Tone Hammer head?
  2. Sid Fang

Sid Fang Reformed Fusion Player Supporting Member

Haven't tried that Orange head, but all the other Orange amps I've tried, guitar or bass, added a lot of coloration to the tone, which can be nice enough, but if I were using a pedal to get my pre-amp character, I'd want a more clinical or neutral amp behind it.
  3. Pimmsley

Pimmsley

my vote, sell the pedal, get the TH-500 head...
  4. jasper383

jasper383 Supporting Member

If you really like that Orange sound though, nothing else will do.
  5. lilcrate

So you're saying playing the pedal through my current amp would not be quite the same as playing through the th head?

I do love it but also like the aggie sound from what I've been exposed to.
  6. jnewmark

jnewmark Supporting Member

Well, the main difference, tonally speaking, between the two is that the TH500 has a fully adjustable Drive control ( AGS button on the pedal ), and the pedal is an all in one button. Many different tones can be had with the adjustable Drive,/Gain that can't be had with the pedal. Of course, with the pedal, you can drive a power amp, and get alot more watts in your rig, as opposed to 500 watts with the TH500. If 500 is enough, I would go with the head.
  7. lilcrate

Good information. Like another poster said, I don't know if the pedal will go well with the orange. I'm thinking sell the pedal and get the th. If I don't like it, take it back and get the orange.

Cabs are 2 separate db112nts so it should go with it nicely.
  8. newbold

newbold

If you're going to go with a head+pedal then certainly explore your other options. I'm glad I have an eden WTDI to modernize my oldschool approach at a switch.

I've alse really liked playing a VTBass through a TC Electronic Stacatto to have the best of both worlds.

If that's your goal then try what you can. you'll be glad you did.
  9. lilcrate

Just a bit of info: I already have a tone hammer pedal. That's the only reason it's on topic. I'm pretty set on either the orange 500 or th 500 for a head if I decide to upgrade. Just don't want to get the head only to have the exact same sound I had from the pedal and don't want to keep the pedal and get the orange if the pedal doesn't mix well with the orange head.
  10. Pimmsley

Pimmsley

What Jnewmark says...

Tone hammer pedal into TH head is unnecessary double handling... The TH pedal into the OT head: unpredictable results, might be good may be bad.., TH amp on its own, known tonal quantity that you like... OT on its own, tonal quality you like...
    2 options there...
  11. el murdoque

el murdoque

I've faced a similar decision a while back. I had a Markbass head and wanted something that can get more dirt.
    Both amps are very powerful - since 500 watts don't equal 500 watts when comparing different brands, that needs to be mentioned.
    The aggie, while having no tubes, had a warmer touch to it when
    getting into the overdrive. I still was undecided because i liked the looks of the orange more. But i wanted a full stack equipped with 12" speakers and that's where my decision
    grew, since orange only offers the isobaric design and i don't like that.
    After a while, i nearly bought the TB500 because i could get a used one for cheap,
    but after some testing, decided against it. The Tonehammer grew on me after a few gigs and rehearsals. It sits deep in the mix and bites when i want it to.

So if you have the possibility grab your pedal and go and test an orange. If you're able to get best of both worlds, golden.
    If not, sell the pedal and get a Tonehammer500.
  12. Musicman20

Musicman20

I sold the old pedal, bought the new version (no lip) but I did almost opt for the amp.

Why didn't I? Well, I can use the pedal in front of a Genz amp with no issues, and get closer to the Aggie tone, plus its smaller, easier to use as a DI if you aren't taking (and less to worry about re: expense).

As much as I like the TH pedal, I don't think I would use the amp as much, mainly as I like the pedal to add an 'active pre' tone to a passive bass, or just to add the Aggie flavour to an amp.
  13. P-oddz

P-oddz Supporting Member

For what it's worth, I used to use my Tone Hammer to help shape my tone with my old Fender amp and loved the results. I bought an Orange AD200B (granted, it's not the Terror Bass) and I don't use my Tone Hammer any more. It's purely a backup if everything craps out on me and I still need to get sound to the house. It actually detracts (IMO) from the raw Orange tone.
  14. lilcrate

Well everything worked out. Sold my pedal, and wound up trading in my Trace head and Ampeg combo amp. They had 15% off door buster sale, so I stood in line to get it.

It was 645 total with tax after 15% off. With the money from the pedal and my two amps, I wound up only paying about $110 bucks out of pocket. Just picked it up today. I will report back on how I like it, but probably in a new thread. Can't wait to get home and play tonight.
  15. Pimmsley

Pimmsley

Please do ! How exciting :)
  16. Slough Feg Bass

Slough Feg Bass

I love the way the Orange sounds, but when in the mix of the band firing on all cylinders, it's loud but doesn't cut through the way the TH does.

Though I would be interested in messing around w/ the TH in front of the Orange to see how it sounds.