1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Tone knob problem

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by SwagAttack, Dec 29, 2013.

1. SwagAttack

SwagAttack

I recently wired up a bass, but I am having a problem with the tone knob. If I have the knob cranked all the way (bassy), then turn it just a little bit, it almost goes entirely clear. It also buzzes a lot more than it should when not all the way cranked. Anyone know how to fix this?
  2. pfox14

pfox14

"goes entirely clear"??? What does that mean? The tone knob all the way up should be the treble setting. Sounds like you wired it wrong. Is it grounded properly?
  3. SwagAttack

SwagAttack

I had an extra wire harness just sitting around, so I just soldered the pu's to it. I meant that if I turn it to one side, it is bassy sounding (not sure if that is tone all the way up or down). But if I just turn it slightly, it gets way more trebly than it should, without the spectrum in-between. It also gets very buzzy after turning it slightly.
  4. C130AVN

C130AVN Stringed Tubist Supporting Member

What value are the pots? If you have a 1 meg or greater installed then I'm not surprised. And if you don't, are we talking about a single coil pickup like a jazz? Maybe you have something electrically very noisy in the immediate area.
  5. SwagAttack

SwagAttack

They look to be 500K. I'm not too worried about the buzzing as much as the not being able to utilize my tone knob as effectively.
  6. C130AVN

Is this a J, P or something else? If you could post a pic of the wiring to the tone pot it may reveal something.
  7. C130AVN

You may have an audio taper pot in there, a linear taper would give you more even control over the entire sweep of the pot.