1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a FREE Account to post and unlock tons of features!

Tone Knob Replacement

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by LoganB, Jan 7, 2014.

  1. LoganB


    Jan 7, 2014
    I recently purchased a Squire Jazz and I'm looking to upgrade it. I'm planning on putting Seymour Duncan Hot Stacks on it for the pick ups but I also want to put a StellarTone Tone Styler Standard Duo Six tone pot into it. The problem is that if I get the Tone Styler I wouldn't use the master tone barely at all so if possible I'd like to replace the master tone knob with the Tone Styler and keep the other two knobs as volume control for the pickups. I'm just not sure if it can be wired in such a way that that would be possible. If not then I'll probably just rout the volume for the pick ups to a stacked potentiometer and put the tone styler in an keep the master tone. Please help me out if you have any insight, I'm only 15 so I'm not too knowledgeable when it comes to the internals of a bass. Thanks!
  2. aphexafx

    aphexafx A mind is a terrible thing.

    Dec 10, 2013
    Denver, Colorado
    Yes this is possible. You've selected the correct version of the ToneStyler ('DUO') specifically for two pickup configurations, specifically VVT. In this case the ToneStyler physically replaces your tone pot and it would have two hot leads, one connected to the PICKUP SIDE of each volume pot. The intention is to connect the ToneStyler leads directly to the pickup outputs on the volume pots and NOT on the volume pot outputs which are common. That's about it.


    What you want is exactly how the two-pickup ToneStyler is intended to be used so you should have no problem.
  3. Sponsored by:

  4. aphexafx

    aphexafx A mind is a terrible thing.

    Dec 10, 2013
    Denver, Colorado

Share This Page