1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Tone Monster Preamp installation success!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Stinsok, Feb 8, 2014.

1. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

I have a Masters Design p/j (US Masters import) that sounds cool but output was really low. Using it with an outboard preamp solved that problem but I wanted it to be able to stand on it's own. I was considering selling it and I didn't want to have to list it for sale with the output issue.

I bought one of these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/111269212222?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

I installed it this morning. Easy to do, with the exception of having to remove some material from the cavity so the volume pot would fit.

I am really happy with it. It solved the output issue without being super over the top hot. The tone is very full bodied, especially in the case of the J pickup. The low's aren't muddy and the highs are brittle when cranked. I have been playing it in the noisiest room in the house. Most basses get some buzz when I stand under the ceiling fan but it's pretty quiet. Would buy this again.

2. punkjazzben

punkjazzben Supporting Member

I've noticed these on eBay a few times and was considering picking one up to put into my passive Yamaha. I've considered a few of the $200ish 'name brand' preamps, but I don't have that kind of money at the moment and if this sounds good I don't care how much (or how little) it costs.

Would you say the preamp is fairly transparent? I.e., set flat you wouldn't really know it was there?

3. Stinsok

That is a good question. I am on the road for a couple of days and will play it some more to answer that specific question.

4. Stinsok

After working to answer your question, I don't have an answer! If I had an active/passive switch I could tell. I do know that for the price I paid I consider it to be a good value. If I were going to put a preamp in a more expensive bass I would probably go with a more expensive preamp. Probably suited better for a sub 400.00 bass.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. punkjazzben

punkjazzben Supporting Member

That's fine, and thanks for responding anyway. I'm thinking about putting it in a Yamaha RBX270J, which is a great bass but I'm not sure I can justify (at the moment) putting a $200 preamp in an instrument I paid $400 for. So this one might be the ticket!

7. Stinsok

Probably a good match for that bass.

8. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

I just bought one of these. Will be using it in a MM / J config.

9. SwagAttack

SwagAttack

I have two of these. They do sound decent, especially for the money. Put it in a VM jazz since I felt like it was lacking a bit of low end. Definitely helped to boost it. The only grievance I have for these are that the circuit is just a tiny bit too tall. As in, the bottom of the circuit touches the bottom of the cavity, so it cannot be tightened down all the way. It works decently for the precision since the pg will deform a bit. But the jazzes metal piece doesn't allow it.

10. Stinsok

At that price, do it. Otherwise, I would go with an outboard preamp.