1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

TONE NIRVANA ! Thanks GK & Genz Benz

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Tunaman, Feb 2, 2014.

1. Tunaman

Tunaman Supporting Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

GK NEO 412 with dual channel Genz Benz 9.2 Shuttlemax making ANYTHING & EVERYTHING possible

Big props to the Musicman Sterling & the 5 way pickup switch for changing tone DRAMATICALLY on the fly. Having both series & parallel with no volume change is an incredible feat vs other basses I've owned. The grind & the warmth all in one

Nailed EVERY tone for the cover band. The rumble of the GK NEO 412 is intense. I've been running a few other cabs lately but the extra oomph of 412s vs my GK NEO 115 stack is very significant. I'm glad I made the switch to go big.

The Shuttlemax 9.2 with dual channels, one for pillow warmth booty shaking lows... the other for aggressive clarity & effects. My effects pedal died in the middle of a song, changed channels & I was back up & running. I can bring any frequency up & down in the mix. The 5 position footswitch a complete beast. Just awesome

Tone nirvana & now going on a few years without ANY amp \ cab gas. :hyper:
  2. Daniel Piper

Daniel Piper

Nice Tuna.

Do you still run the streamliner with the NEO115-III rig?

Do the findings of your 3 way shootout (115 stack, 412 and 310) from way back still stand true for you?
  3. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Awesome rig!!

:bassist:
  4. Tunaman

Yup, nothing has changed except I probably have a better feel for all of them as I've owned them much longer.

Streamliner with the GK NEO 115 stack is still a beast... the "problem" is that my new disco\funk\dance band wants me to play pretty damn loud & the 412 handles that volume much better. I'll take a Shuttlemax 9.2 over a Streamliner every day for the 2 channels, the footswitch & especially tone for the clear songs I need where I need to be mid heavy.

The GK NEO 412 is a bit scooped vs the GK NEOs & this last gig I made the EQ adjustment on amp & it was absolutely perfect. I've been fighting the 115s at loud volume. The 412 is also a more neutral cab with less of its personal tone imprint. The epifanis 310 ULs are gone as I dont have a 2 ohm amp & were FAR too scooped
  5. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Yeah with a montser cab like that it's good to have gobs of power and the ability to target/enhance desired mid-range frequencies, all of which you can do with that head.

The second channel is gravy! You're set for life.
  6. mb94952

mb94952 Endorsing Artist : SFARZO STRINGS Gold Supporting Member

I don't have a Genz Benz, but I absolutely LOVE my GK NEO cabs !!! To me, they are the most non-neo sounding cabs out there without spending Bergantino kind of money.

I have had a lot of cabs over the years and my GK NEO 212 is going nowhere ! I love it so much. I also just picked up a GK MBE 210 and it is unbelievable, as well !! GK is just great !!
  7. orangejulius3

orangejulius3 Supporting Member

Love my cab as well!
    It handle my GK 2001RB bridged @ 1080w
    I like using my Eden Navigator Pre with it as well.

Attached Files:

8. Bob C

Bob C

Forgive the hijack: The only thing that turned me off (on paper) about the MBE series is the "on-off" only tweeter. Has this been an issue for you? Do you consider the MBE's "inferior" to the NEO's in any way?
  9. Tunaman

The Eden Navigator is awesome...

Great combo
  10. mb94952

mb94952 Endorsing Artist : SFARZO STRINGS Gold Supporting Member

Well, I agree with you. I honestly haven't had enough play time with it to give you a fair opinion, but so far it's fine. I did, however, buy a Neo crossover system in case I want to install it into the MBE. It is the whole back panel of the Neo cabs. I ordered it directly from GK.
  11. Tunaman

MBEs may be alright but I'm finding that I like to OVER cab, as in bring a cab that can handle way more watts then I intend to use. I just find it keeps the speakers tone more true at higher volumes. While the GK NEO 115 sounds great at lower volumes when pushed it starts to sound different. It can handle the watts but not with the same tone as with lower volumes.

The GK NEO 412s tone stays true at high volumes.
  12. Bob C

Bob C

I've been leaning toward the 115 stack because of portability. But I'm concerned about running out of "oomph" at higher volume levels. It seems it will be a "wait and see" situation.
  13. Tunaman

If you run a streamliner or 9.2 past 11 with the volume and gain at 12 you will want more than the 115 stack. Below that the stack is fantastic
  14. basswave

basswave Execuse me but your I-IV-V is in my II-V-I Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsments listed in profile
    Stoked for you T man...
  15. Tunaman

You gotta catch a gig in Peabody man, close to your home town. I gotta see you play locally as well boss!