1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Tone-quest: P-bass

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by honkyfunk, Dec 4, 2013.

1. honkyfunk

honkyfunk

I think I got lucky on this one. Bought a new, off-the-shelf MIM P-Bass here in SF area California. Had it "Plecked" at SF works, (something every bass might want to consider), had La Bella flat 49-109's put on and a hipshot vintage (with the string ball shroud) bridge. That's it, and it sounds better than any of 5 other P-basses that I've owned in various configurations. As I was considering putting over-wound Lollar split replacement, I think I'll just leave it alone! I'm new to TB forums, but I'm so pleased with the tone out of this thing, I just had to throw it out there. I'm getting every tone descriptor that I've ever read here on the forums: tone up: a bit of growl, tone-rolled off: an absolutely round, heavy, not-airy or boomy, beautiful and quintessential P-bass tone. Those strings pull pretty hard on that poor MIM neck, but the action is low, no buzz, and plays like milk. All for under $850.00 - Amp is Ampeg PF500 to a 2x10 Mesa traditional. Keeps my neighbors happier, because night-time is headphone time. My next thread will pursue about 1,000 questions for all y'all experts and pro's out there. TB is fantastic.

2. OzzyGreg

OzzyGreg Supporting Member

Cool!

Hey, excuse my ignorance, but what's "Plecked" exactly?

3. musicman666

musicman666 Supporting Member

Awesome! You have any info on SF Works, can't seem to find em on line. I wanna try this PLEK'ing!

4. musicman666

musicman666 Supporting Member

Ahh! Never mind. SF Guitarworks! Going to try em out!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. honkyfunk

honkyfunk

You got it! Sorry.. SF Guitarworks. They are great people and very good at their craft. The "Plek" is their fret-planing machine. You cannot believe how well your bass plays after this treatment. You can get the action lower than otherwise, and the fretboard feels like a different world.

"A Plek is a computer controlled fret leveling tool, which in the hands of an experienced tech, can provide an unparalleled fret job. It levels frets with an accuracy of .0001″, assists in the process of making nuts, and offers extremely advanced setup functions."

7. ROOTSnFIFTHS

ROOTSnFIFTHS Low-end Lover since '78! Supporting Member

Yes and the shop has to have that 'Plek' machine to do it and not many do.

8. Lownote38

Lownote38

There's a guy in Nashville who has the Plek machine, and I've had luthiers do a better job than that machine did. They were really good luthiers, though.

9. Slough Feg Bass

Slough Feg Bass

that place is very cool...I used to have stuff done with another guy until he moved away, and now I use these guys for stuff I don't want to do myself. Very nice people.