Tone shaping and coloring pedals/effects?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by justinellison3, Nov 12, 2012.

1. justinellison3

justinellison3

I have a Tech 21 Sansamp BDDI and that definitely makes a difference in my tone and I love it. One of the best DIs in my opinion.

But Im looking to getting some compression and other pedals into my rig.

Anybody know any good pedals that shape and color your tone while still sticking to the original sound of the bass itself?
  2. Toolmybass

Toolmybass Supporting Member

First you would have to decide HOW you would like to shape and color your tone (ie:chorus?,flange?,dirt?.fuzz?)

Once you decide that then try to look for one that has a blend knob and its published reviews on that specific pedal!

:bassist:
  3. justinellison3

justinellison3

I want something that makes my cleans noticeably smoother and rounder and just more inviting to the ears. Something that can make someone say "man that bass sounds amazing!!"
  4. Toolmybass

Toolmybass Supporting Member

Whats your budget?
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. vegas532

vegas532 Supporting Member

My VT Bass is pretty much always on. It makes my tone sound rounder, and all of my dirt pedals sound better with it.
  7. ShowKing

ShowKing

I have my VT bass on most of the time but im not sure if its different enough to the BDDI to make the change. How about trying an MXR M87 bass compressor? Those 2 pedals are usually always on in my pedalboard
  8. justinellison3

justinellison3

I don't wanna spend more than $200 for a pedal. I've been looking at the Aguilar TLC and Ebs multicomp. Anything about those?

Also, I heard the Xotic EP booster is good for coloring guitar tone. What about bass??
  9. Jay2U

Jay2U Not as bad as he lóòks Supporting Member

It depends on taste, budget and use. Many effects can be placed between the bass and the amp OR in the effect loop. If it's in the loop, the original output of the bass and the pedal output can be mixed to give both the clean sound and the desired effect.

I'd go over to a well sorted store and try as many effects as possible, preferrably with my own bass.

A good compressor is always worth the money. You won't hear it's there until you switch it off.
  10. Jay2U

I don't know what kind of sound you're after. I remember using a Digitech Death Metal pedal for guitar to do an alternative version of Canon Rock:
    Me doing some Canon Rock damge

By the way: this pedal costs about $60.
  11. sillyfabe

sillyfabe keeping the low-end silly since '06

Let me throw something a little different out there: I use a Tech 21 Red Ripper as my to e shaper with its low,mids,highs, drive, LPF, and level controls its a very powerful tone shaper along with everything else it can do....
  12. justinellison3

justinellison3

I hate everything by digitech and boss. I'm just going for a more colored, more round, more smooth TRUE, CLEAN tone.
  13. Jay2U

Sorry to have upset you... :D
  14. alec

alec

That's a contradiction - unless you mean something different.

I would also suggest the VT Bass but you have a BDDI... Probably worth checking out though. Both the BDDI and VT have some natural compression in them.

A decent EQ pedal could also take you a long way.

For a compressor, the Joe Meek Floor Q might be up your alley (I haven't used it) http://www.ovnilab.com/reviews/floorq.shtml
    Check out the other compressor reviews on bongo's site if you haven't already.
  15. G3Mitch

G3Mitch

i use the bddi aswell. the blend function on it allows me to retain 50% of my P Bass and still have 50% of the BDDI's awesome presence. I also blend all of my dirt pedals for the similar reasons, gives me dirt but i dont lose any of my bottom end punch. works really well for me in the group I am playing in right now. moral of the story? blending RULES.

I've never been into compressors. but thats not to say they cant be useful. more of a studio tool for me.
  16. NeroJazz

NeroJazz Gold Supporting Member

The MultiComp colors your tone in a very delightful way IME. The main selling point of this little bugger is the fact that you can adjust the amount of compression, on the high and low bands via two internal trimpots when in multiband mode. Makes it sooooo much more flexible.
  17. NKUSigEp

NKUSigEp Supporting Member

This is not possible.
  18. rsmith601

rsmith601 Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    President, Source Audio
    As noted by Alec, this sounds like an application for EQ.
  19. tink9975

tink9975 Supporting Member

you could look for a used Submarine, that might do the trick
  20. justinellison3

justinellison3

...... what??
  21. tink9975

tink9975 Supporting Member

sorry, Zeibek/MusicElectronix Submarine.
    It's a bass preamp pedal that are not made anymore, but turn up used for around $90 (last I saw). there are versions with 2 knobs (vol, tone), and later ones that add an "ultrabass" switch. I use it to make my sound a bit thicker without changing the basic tone.

Its the yellow pedal in the top row in this pic.
    [​IMG]