Tonebone issues

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by natbers78, Jan 12, 2014.

1. natbers78

natbers78 Supporting Member

Hello,

First, not sure if this is in the right forum...mods feel free to move as needed. I have been using a Tonebone with my Fender P and Dingwall ABI. I also have a strobe tuner connected to it. The problem is that when going through the Tonebone, the tuner will not pick up the Dingwall. This happens in both channels of the Tonebone with the Dingwall, but never with the Fender. The tuner picks up the Dingwall with no problems when plugged directly in. Any ideas? Thanks.

2. shwashwa

shwashwa

do you have the tuner plugged into the tuner out? is the volume high enough?

3. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    That's a tough one! The only thing I'm imagining at first guess is that something about the wiring of the Tonebone and the Dingwall's active system causes the normal path to the tuner to have too much resistance.

4. natbers78

Good ideas, but yes, the tuner is hooked up to the tuner out and the Dingwall is passive.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. shwashwa

shwashwa

then maybe you just need to turn it up? try that. i have that issue with my tonebone with low output basses

7. natbers78

Thanks. The volume on the bass is wide open...and for being a passive instrument, it's pretty hot.

8. Modulator

Modulator

That's really strange. I've always been under the impression that the tuner out was just a direct line from the input. I use mine to feed a second bank of effects in a parallel effects chain and have never had an issue, passive or active.

What happens if you put the tuner in the loop instead of using the tuner out?

9. natbers78

Not sure...I'll try and report back.

10. shwashwa

shwashwa

im pretty sure the tuner is affected by the input volume control, which is what i was referring to when i said turn up, not the bass itself, you can have the bass wide open and still no signal getting to the tuner if the volume is too low.

11. shwashwa

shwashwa

i know these are silly questions, but are you sure you have the right channel selected when you switch basses? (im hoping for a simple solution for you)

12. shwashwa

shwashwa

actually it seems that the tuner out is affected by the level control in the one that i use, the pz pre, but not in the bass bone. which one are you using?

13. natbers78

Well, as Modulator suggested, I tried plugging the tuner into the loop as opposed to the tuner out. This appears to be working. I am still a little confused, as the Tonebone instructions say the tuner would operate better through the tuner out, as this has a band pass filter. This solution is contrary to those instructions...it would be nice to know why. Anyway, everything seems to be working fine now. Thanks for all of your help.

14. Modulator

Modulator

I've always run my tuner through the loop. It allows you to actually mute the signal that way. Still have no idea why you're having issues with the tuner out.